Me and My Buick - the rules

Peter Gariepy

Welcome to the Me and My Buick Forum.

This forum is for sharing photos and stories of your treasured vehicle, as well as photos of you and your family, your car?s living room (garage, barn, shop), etc.

SUGGESTION! <span style="font-weight: bold">ADD YOUR NAME AND CAR TO THE SUBJECT LINE!</span> PLEASE!

• 4 years later...

Hi all. I am a newer member having Buicks for about 6 years now.I am putting together an interesting combination that I need some advice on.It is a 1940 buick special 4dr sedan. Currently it is stripped to the bone and body and paint(black) done.I bought a dropped spindle set from fatman and will be lowered 2in at the rear as well. Interior will be red/black real leather and the rest will be as original as possible.Wheels are stock with trim rings and small hubcaps. I have a complete 41 super twin carb motor to go in.I want to make it look like maybe Buick put together a1940 SSE.Is there any o/d trannys that will work with the original? Any ideas on mild but not noticeable engine mods? Thanks all.

• 1 year later...

Is this where the auto-holics meet? If so, "my name is Anderson and I'm obsessed with my car..." (everyone in unison, "Hello Anderson")

I've enjoyed this forum for a year now, but have been only a wall flower, so I guess its finally time to step forward and say hello!

I have a 1941-76C Buick Roadmaster coupe convertible, Royal Maroon body, red leather interior (well, vinyl) with a tan top. I've attempted to attach some photos...I hope they post OK. I've owned this car for 12 years and have enjoyed every minute of it (even when I was miserable.)

I'm looking forward to getting to know the group better. I'm always looking to learn more about my car. Thanks for all the useful (and just plain entertaining) posts.

post-75951-143138808476_thumb.jpg

post-75951-14313880848_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143138808483_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143138808484_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest RockabillyRider

Hey all! Glad I found this forum. I'm a novice mechanic, and a major junkie over classic American rides. I recently stumbled onto a 1955 Buick Special 4 Door in another part of town (I live in Quebec - huge province) and after meeting with the car's owner a few times, I manged to get my hands on the car for what I think is a fair price, considering the decent condition the car is in.

Two weeks from today, she'll be sitting in my driveway. She needs some work (brakes - front and back, replace the lines, flush the tranny, change the oil, and install new shocks and springs in the rear), but, my only goal for this season is to get her on the road for the rest of the summer, then store her for the winter so I can get her prepped in early spring for body and two-tone paint (deep metalic burnt orange in the center, white top, white bottom).

She's currently a runner, and sounds amazing considering she hasn't been on the road since 1999. she's been in a barn, covered with a blue tarp so she hasn't seen any snow at all through this time. Yay me!

She's all original, as far as I can tell, but she does need some work on the front floor.

I've never worked on anything older than 1984 so I'm assuming I'm in for either a treat or a stroke. Maybe both. :)

I'll be checking in here OFTEN because I'll ve asking a ton of stupid questions.

Looking forward to chatting up about Buicks here. (That's her down there)

post-86803-143139095422_thumb.jpg

Edited by RockabillyRider
added text. (see edit history)

Welcome. Lots of knowledge here for you to mine. Try to get a shop manual, if you don't have one already. These cars aren't hard to work on, but there are some important differences and a manual can go a long way to helping you. I've had a '56 Roadmaster for about 35 years, that I've driven every summer since I bought it.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)

Hey all! Glad I found this forum. I'm a novice mechanic, and a major junkie over classic American rides. I recently stumbled onto a 1955 Buick Special 4 Door in another part of town (I live in Quebec - huge province) and after meeting with the car's owner a few times, I manged to get my hands on the car for what I think is a fair price, considering the decent condition the car is in.

Two weeks from today, she'll be sitting in my driveway. She needs some work (brakes - front and back, replace the lines, flush the tranny, change the oil, and install new shocks and springs in the rear), but, my only goal for this season is to get her on the road for the rest of the summer, then store her for the winter so I can get her prepped in early spring for body and two-tone paint (deep metalic burnt orange in the center, white top, white bottom).

She's currently a runner, and sounds amazing considering she hasn't been on the road since 1999. she's been in a barn, covered with a blue tarp so she hasn't seen any snow at all through this time. Yay me!

She's all original, as far as I can tell, but she does need some work on the front floor.

I've never worked on anything older than 1984 so I'm assuming I'm in for either a treat or a stroke. Maybe both. :)

I'll be checking in here OFTEN because I'll ve asking a ton of stupid questions.

Looking forward to chatting up about Buicks here. (That's her down there)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]145552[/ATTACH]

I like it!!

Yes, you'll need a Shop manual>

Here's a neat site that includes an owners manual;

1955 Buick Owner's Guide

Guest RockabillyRider

Hey BHamBulldog - Many thanks! I was "watching" a manual on eBay and will most likely pick that up this week. I've gt lots of Hanes and Mitchell manuals, but not one for a Buick 55. I'm definitely check this site out though. Thanks very much!!

Guest RockabillyRider

Hey Buicknutty - Thanks very much! I've gotten so used to just taking my cars to garages becvause everything is electronic these days, I'm really looking forward to working on the Buick though. They don't build cars like this anymore. The styling and craftsmanship alone is above anything we see on the road these days. Can't wait to get this one home (next weekend!) and get under the hood and underneath. Though she needs some work, my biggest fears were squashed when she started up on first press of the pedal. Sounded amazing! Great idle, smooth exhaust and no knocks.

I'll post a "journal" of the progress here. If that's OK?

Thanks again guys.