Identify car?

Marlon

It's a circa 1908-1912 highwheeler (type of car, not the make), though I'm not sure exactly which make.(of course the fact that I can only see the lefy side of the picture, from the baby and dog - left - doesn't help matters). And I'm certainly no highwheeler expert. I prefer my double chain drive cars with a few more cylinders and horsepower (most highwheelers were 2 cyl. - tho some were singles I believe). International (who continue to manufacture trucks to this day) produced about 1/2 of all the highwheelers manufactured, I believe, and continued to produce them later than virtually any other co., through about WW1 (1916 or so I think). Highwheelers were very popular with farmers and (mostly midwest) rural dwellers in the period after 1908 or so through WW1 as they could be maintained by farmers used to maintaining farm equipment and the high, hard rubber tires would go through the muddy dirt roads prevalent throughout the farming communities of the midwest better than the pneumatic tires of most more conventional motorcars of the day. In addition, the wheels were designed like wagon wheels so they would run in the wagon tracks of those dirt country roads. Most of the highwheeler manufacturers just like most of the other automobile and motorcycle manufacturers of the first part of the century were forced out of business or into another product area (like Int'l with trucks) by Henry's low priced T, which by 1914 was reliable (for the era) and 1/2, 1/3 or even 1/4 the price of a highwheeler (or other non luxury autos of the period) and only a little more (usually less than $100 more) than a motorcycle. T's were just as if not more reliable and simpler to maintain than the highwheelers or other more traditional vehicles of the period. And Model T touring cars were much more practical than a motorcycle, and more desireable for the young gentleman owner, especially if he had a sweetheart - there are definite advantages to a back seat over a motorcycle saddle for a young couple, especially a young unmarried couple! smile.gifcool.gifblush.giftongue.gifgrin.gif.......One last note on highwheelers....the first generation of old car collectors (who started collecting in the 1930s and early '40s generally (and MISTAKENLY) considered highwheelers to be the first motorcars, dating back to or before the turn of the century, rather than the 2nd generation cars from the '08-14 period that they actually are. During this dawn of the car collecting era, highwheelers were some of the most sought after and valuable cars, sometimes attaining the immense value of a few hundred dollars!........lol, at a time when many brass era cars were bringing two figure - that's $10-99 - prices shocked.gif and model A's & T's could be bought for single figure - $1-9 - prices crazy.gif. Ahhhh! The Good Ol Days! grin.gif Oh yes, highwheelers also have one distinction unmatched by any other type of vehicle at the Hershey Swap Meet. They are the only vehicles permitted to race competitively against another vehicle (must be another highwheeler, of course!smirk.gif) in sanctioned races (inside the Stadium Fri. at 11AM). The racecars are only allowed to "parade around" frown.gifone at a time mad.gif, following the highwheeler "races". They let the turtles race but not the rabbits! frown.gif

Thanks John You've got the true DF Spirit! But I'm still not sure of the exact make. Can you do that computer magic with the whole Mitchell thread? I've wanted to comment but couldn't ever see the right half of the postings including the reply buttons......Herb, the computer illiterate olcarcollector with only dialup service smile.gif

That was a fine overview of Highwheelers that Herb just posted, and the one in the photo is a rare one. Hard to believe there were over 250 DIFFERENT manufactures of Highwheelers in the USA. The Standard Catalog of American Cars has an index of them and I spent a fair part of last evening trying unsuccessfully to match that photo with a car in the catalog. Unusual features (for a Highwheeler) are the the hood, and maybe the front mounted engine the fellow looks to be cranking. The "coffee grinder" style steering controlls look like the unit found on a 1903-04 Autocar. The only photo that came close to matching was a 1908 Reliable-Dayton. I couldn't find a good photo of a Zimmerman, but I think that car had a hood as well and may be worth a look. Great photo, I always like the ones that enclude the family dog. grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks John You've got the true DF Spirit! But I'm still not sure of the exact make. Can you do that computer magic with the whole Mitchell thread? I've wanted to comment but couldn't ever see the right half of the postings including the reply buttons......Herb, the computer illiterate olcarcollector with only dialup service smile.gif </div></div>

I am not sure what thread that was. I did not see it. I suspect that if the right side is obscured, there must be a large photo causing the screen to run off to the side. Look at the bottom of your browser for a slider bar. You should be able to use it to slide the page over to see the whole screen. Let me know if that did it. Point me to the thred and I will take a look for you.

John

With 5 people and a big dog on board that 20HP ? high wheeler must have been struggling up hill, it looks like snow on the ground to. A refreshing day on the road. Stude8

20 HP? I think not. Perhaps 12-14 HP as, like was stated, it's probably an air cooled twin cylinder. But that's plenty of power to haul that load up most any hill IN LOW GEAR! It's all in the "gearing" my DF Friends! And these highwheelers were "geared" for POWER, such as it was, rather than speed. Top speed was probably south of 30 mph, a good thing too with those solid rubber tires and wagon style wheels!