v12 crankshaft

jagman

hi,my first time here.i've got a v12 engine to rebuild eng# H115449 as far as i can tell that should be a 1941. now,it has solid lifters,i can see wher they tappad the oil feed to the lifters and plugged it. i will put it back to hyds. the rod thejournals are hollow , you can look right threw them.i'm ok with that. the engine i pulled out of the car a ,48 the crank is solid. but that engine was not the original one for the car the block is cracked. i could not find the engine # one that one ,it had a hyd. cam. i just want to make sure i can use the componants together with this eng. and am wondering what year the crank is etc. thanks.

The V12 crankshaft was changed in 1942 to larger rod journals. Most Lincoln experts agree the later crankshaft is better. You can use the late crankshaft in the 41 block, but you will have to use the later rods to go with the crankshaft. To help you identify what you have, the part number for the later rods begins with 26H, 1938-1941 rods are marked 86H. If the rod part number begins with H, they are 1936-37, used before hydraulic lifters. I am pretty sure the cam should also be different between hydraulic and solid lifters, although there is no telling what is in there now. Good luck!

Guest imported_V12Bill

Jagman, Check out your camshaft for wear. When solid lifters are put in to replace the hydralics, the lobes get worn down quickly. You have to send out your cam to have it rebuilt. They build up the lobes with weld material and regrind the cam. Because of the heat associated with welding, they don't like to do more that 3 lobes. This is what I was told by Alan Wheilahan who did my cam. You might want to check around and get advice from other s who rebuild cams.

Bill

v12bill,ive got a hyd cam from the other engine that looks good but the lifters that were used with it are worn concave. i dont like to use new lifters on a used cam so i might send that one in.do they offer new cams for these engines? i was going to check with egge machine,i have bought a few things from them in the past and they were nice to deal with. thans for the info.jagman.

Guest imported_V12Bill

Jagman, The shell of the lifter is supposed to be concave. I believe that there is a .002 dish in the face of the shell. This is to promote turning of the shell as the lobe of the cam passes under it.

PS I have cleaned the clock but it still doesn't work.

Bill