old picture

birger

Its mayby not a good quality picture ,but its a nice one showing how old worn out cars(lz 37) were used in the early sixties.Here in Denmark we had what we called Stock car race.Probably not the same as Stock car race in usa.Lots of ford v8,chevys and other cars from 1930-1950 saw there last daylight in these races.I think picture shows a lz 37 fourdoor surviving the attacs from two unidentified vehicles.Birger

post-43338-143137883075_thumb.jpg

Interesting. You wonder whether they destroyed some potentially valuable cars doing those races but we'll never know.

Growing up in the state of Ohio, USA, we had a thing called the demolition derby. It was usually held at the county fair in the autumn every year. As a child, I loved that event. It was at that time mostly large 70's sedans that were pretty well relieved of their interior, glass and everything else that wasn't necessary. The object of the game was to crash into each other during each session and the last car running and moving went on to the next session until their was an ultimate winner. The area they would compete in was just a section of mud fenced off, not a track. That was entertainment in small town midwest!

Thanks for the picture, Birger. It brings back some old memories of times long past.

I was in college in Rochester, New York in the early 1950's and went to the stock car races at the county fairgrounds almost every Saturday night. The track was 1/4 mile, dirt, and the cars went into a 4-wheel "drift" on every turn. These were competitive races, not demolition derbys which came on the scene much later.

"Drifting" has become a popular soprt these days, using modern imported cars. These kids think they have discovered something new!

Too bad I didn't get any photos of these races. They destroyed a LOT of 1932 - 1940 Fords. I particularly remember one driver from Utica, New York (about 100 miles from Rochester) who drove a 1939 Ford coupe. He came out of each drift dead straight and never opened the hood in the pits. He nearly always won until the other drivers started ganging up on him. I even had a '39 Ford coupe picked out in a local junkyard but never could get enough money together to build my own race car. Probably a good thing!

They used to have stock car races at Soldier Field in Chicago in the early 1950's. The track was also 1/4 mile, but it was asphalt. There was one idiot who actually raced a Lincoln Continental at Soldier Field. In those days I wanted a Lincoln Continental so bad I could almost taste it and it broke my heart to see one wasted in a race!