Best Tires for the Lincoln Zephyr?

materal

I could probably post this in a general forum but because it pertains to my 40 Lincoln Zephyr, this is as good a place as any. The tires on my car are probably 20 years old and they need replaced. In addition, at least one and possible two are out of round. I guess they may have developed flat spots from sitting for a long period of time. At any rate, I've looked at Coker and a few other distributors of these tires. I should note that I want to put the original type bias ply tires on. I've read some about the use of radials with wide whites attached to them in the THE WAY OF THE ZEPHYR but I'm a purist and I want the original type.

What I would like to know is what other people's experience has been with purchasing these tires. What are the better suppliers? Is there any advantage in cost with one over another? Should I just go with Coker and be done with it?

Matt Rall

Michigan

Guest imported_V12Bill

Zman, I am confused. I have bought Firestone tires from Coker Tires in Tennesee.They have run fine on both cars, but there is some drifting. I guess it is a trait of the bias belt tires vs radial tires. Since the suspension on both cars has been rebuilt and both front ends aligned I can think of no other thing other than the tires. I did note that the second set of tires were a little wider in profile and the spare tire lid in the trunk had to be raised about 3/4 of an inch in order to close the lid.

Bill

I would say if you plan on driving it go with the radials from diamond back. there is nothing to fear about putting radials on your old rims as long as they arnt rusted out and if they are you can send them to a place like stockton wheel and they will fix them better than new. radials will track better stop better and ride smoother and if you get a flat on a trip you can always get a new one to get you home at any tire shop, try getting a bias ply tire nowdays.

• 6 years later...

I'm running Coker Firestone reproduction bias ply tires with tubes on my '37. 6000 miles and no problems. There is some drift typical of bias ply tires but it's not like I'm going crazy on the speed anyway. One overlooked advantage of the tube tires is that they hold air *much* better than the tubeless tires.

If you are an "Originalist", Coker Firestone reproduction 7.00:16 tube type wide whitewalls are the way to go. I haven't driven my '41 LC 6000 miles like Cecil has (Columbia installation is currently on hold), but I put quite a few miles in the '39 Zephyr before selling it. They were OLD tires on that car when I bought it.