For which car?

Guffin

I'd venture a guess that it's an accessory radiator mascot, sold as an aftermarket accessory starting (pretty much) after WW1. These were very popular in the '20s as concerns about overheating (more prevalent on teens & pre-teen cars than on '20s chariots) became less prevalent (earlier - teens and preteens - cars might typically have temperature gauges - thermometers - on top of their radiator caps - though there were exceptions such as the Thomas Flyer and the Locomobile - both after 1908 and each to celebrate major (the two biggest???) racing wins - the 1908 N.Y. to Paris 'Round the World Race - Thomas - and the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup Race - Loco). The Roaring '20s were all about individualism and freedom. I'd say the owner wanted to establish that he was the "King of the Road" (or jungle) as the case might be. BTW, if anyone has one of those Thomas or Locomobile radiator caps lying around, I could sure give it a Good Home.....

I agree with Herb that this is likely an aftermarket mascot. The positioning of the lion with his front paw off the cap itself suggests that to me.

How is the lion attached to the cap? Have you carefully inspected the casting for any marks?

The first owner (the one I bought the Hupp from) said it came from a car they traded in when they bought the Hupp. It could still be an aftermarket mascot, of cause. Eather the front paw or the rear paw has to be outside the cap, perhaps it isn't a car mascot at all? There is a bolt behind the rear left leg going through the center of the cap. I repaired this bolt and the original was poorly tin soldered to the lion. Anyhow, I think it looks nice and as it has been on the car since it was new, I will keep it on.

Jan

Guest De Soto Frank

Jan,

Has your Hupp always resided in Europe?

If so, is it possible that this lion might've been from a Puegot ?

He looks a little big for a radiator mascot...???

The Hupp was sold in Stockholm by the Hupmobile representative Fredlunds Automobile AB so it has lived in Sweden all its life. The owner traded in the Hupp in 1960 for a Hillman car (now long gone) and the same company sold the car to me. The Hupp had then been standing in a heated garage since 1939 with only 44000 km on the odometer. The tyres were taken by the army during the war. The first owner's son wanted the garage space for the new Hillman and forced his father to sell the car. When I pulled away the Hupp the old man cried.

The Hupmobile Century 8 was a rather expensive car. In the USA the list price was a little more than $2000 (More than an Auburn 1929). I paid SKR1600 ($200) for the car which was much money for me at that time.

Jan

Guest De Soto Frank

Jan,

Your Hupp sounds like a great car, with a touching story...

The '28-'30 Hupmobiles were really good-looking cars, featuring may "European" (to us Yanks) styling features, especially with respect to Moderne styling touches applied to door-handles, knobs, etc.

We rarely see them these days, even in America... frown.gif

Frank,

Here is a photo of the dash.

I have heard that a Swedish engineer was working at the Hupp design department in the 20´s. He later moved back to Sweden and took part in the design of the first Volvo car.

The Hup is a well designed car with some unusual features for that time. 1928 and 1929 are essentially the same design with full flow oil filter and pressure fed oil to ALL bearings, including the piston pins (through drilled holes in the rods)

9904Hupp_dashboard-med.jpg

After reading the brief history of the vehicle and its European connections, my guess on this is its a mascot from a car called a Graf Und Stift. The Graf Und Stift was known as the "Rolls-Royce of Austria," it was built for the same high end market. A silver lion on the radiator cap was the mascot. Im sure Gergano's complete encyclopedia of motorcars can provide more info on it, and I'll double check Williams book on Mascots to confirm, but im pretty sure you've got a neat one. One I check those reference books I'll probably be able to give you a more precise guestimate on the year.

Terry

Guest Debby Soucia

Jan

We have a 1927 Hupmobile, here is a picture of that cap. Ours you can see from the inside and see how hot your motor is running. From the out side this is what it looks like. I have never seen any like yours.

Debby

post-41317-143137881854_thumb.jpg

Guest Debby Soucia

We don't know much about ours yet. Just got it November 22 and it's been snowing or really cold since we brought it home. We joined the Hupmobile club to get more information and I got books from AACA .

Here is a good picture of it the day we brought it home.

post-41317-143137881855_thumb.jpg

• 13 years later...
On 1/2/2006 at 10:13 PM, Guffin said:

The Hupp was sold in Stockholm by the Hupmobile representative Fredlunds Automobile AB so it has lived in Sweden all its life. The owner traded in the Hupp in 1960 for a Hillman car (now long gone) and the same company sold the car to me. The Hupp had then been standing in a heated garage since 1939 with only 44000 km on the odometer. The tyres were taken by the army during the war. The first owner's son wanted the garage space for the new Hillman and forced his father to sell the car. When I pulled away the Hupp the old man cried.

The Hupmobile Century 8 was a rather expensive car. In the USA the list price was a little more than $2000 (More than an Auburn 1929). I paid SKR1600 ($200) for the car which was much money for me at that time.

Jan

When did fredlunds got the hupps? My is sold by Alfred holmer who was hupp dealer in Stockholm at that time.