Participation on this forum sucks!!

Phil Wimbish

Greetings to all who read and never respond!

I made two posts a couple of weeks back and while over two hundred looks have been made between the two only three responses were posted! The two responses were from the only guys that have ever responded to me. These are two great club members who take the time to give their thoughts and inputon a regular basis. You see their names all the time on the forum they are Cboz and Dizzdale.

I currently am in three different Porsche weblists 356, 914 and 928 and whenever someone has a question that is posted on these lists there is some helpful response from fellow members. I would think the same would be true on this forum as the lincolns are from an era that I would think most of the club members are retired and have more time to help the newbies like myself, but the exact opposite is true.

I personally feel someone from the club should do something to encourage people to participate in the forum. There should also be someone that takes an interest in the website and updates it from time to time. There have been few changes in any of the information on the website over the last couple of years that I have become interested in the Lincoln Zephyr cars.

A new year is almost upon us, let us all, myself included make an effort to participate on the forum, it usually only takes a line of two. If you cant type post a phone number or something. I would love to hear from the leaders of LZOC on this. It is 2006 not 1936, or 1946(though sometimes it feel like 1984!) the forum and the website need some help!

Happy New Year to all!

Phil Wimbish

Annapolis Md

37 Coupe (hopefully soon!)

57 356 Porsche

74 914

87 928

78 Egg Harbor '33

Dear Phil,As long as i have been restoring my 39 coupe and coming on this forum things have not changed.Last time i gave someone some advise here it apparently wasn't what they wanted to hear and they jumped ship.I will come here on a daily basis while continuing work on my Zephyr which WILL be done in time for the Early Ford V-8 show in Batavia,N.Y. in July.There are some GREAT people in this club who will do whatever they can to help you,the President of the club being at the top of the list.Thanks for your no bull input.diz smile.gif

I hear ya, but maybe folks just don't have anything to say(?). As my wife would tell you, I'm "frequently wrong but never in doubt" wink.gif

In contrast, I've been over on the Fordbarn forum, and there are LOTS of responses -- in some cases, one would argue too many, including downright wrong answers. And in addition, there are a few over there who will fight over ANYTHING -- the correct oil, waterpump, etc, etc.

Hopefully, we can get more folks sharing their two cents without going that way.

Hello Phill.Ive been looking at your post.Personly I would never reply to a question about the value of a car unless I was involved in a trade.Its a very difficult matter.If you want to sell, you often think the value is higher, than if you want to buy.I bought a 39 covertibel coupe 2 month ago.It was for sale for several years.I paid a lot of money,but if I have paid too much, Im sure the investment will be OK within a few years.Its like taking a change.Often a rare car is for sale for a long period,no one really cares.But, when the car is gone there is allways a lot of people saying"Oh,why didnt I buy this car, when I had the opportunity".So,if you want a specific rare car, go for it when its possible.Birger

Guest imported_V12Bill

I agree with Birger. Without at least seeing the car only a fool would try to guess the value. Sort of like guessing how many jelly beans are in the jar.If you expect an answer to that sort of question, have I got a deal for you!!

Bill

Happy New Year to all!

First, I didnt mean to sound so harsh! I understand about valuation comments they can be difficult to determine. Of course I would be inclined to draw on past experience if I had it. In fact today I guy wanted my opinion on the value of his '37 four door sedan. I referred him to a sale that I saw recently on Ebay of a '38 (more desirable in my opinion) that sold. That was all I was looking for.

What I was really dissapointed in was the lack of comments on the Zephyr prints that I bought and brought t the the forums attention. I thought they were incredible and had in fact looked into buying one of the originals, but Ford beat me to it. As a surprise my wife had them framed for me for Christmas at a place over at the local mall. She said when they were brought out from the back that they literally drew a crowd. Not one comment! I really had thought it was a great find...actually still do.

Anyway, I appreciate the comments from the few that do!

A Great New year to all!

Phil in Annapolis

Dear Phil,Thanks for the heads up regarding the prints.I received the 38-39 just before the holidays and am having it framed as we speak.In my mind its not the kind of thing that will ever see the living room sooooooo it will hang where i can look at it when i am riding the Airdyne and liftin weights.diz smile.giflaugh.gif

Phil, as some will tell you, I was a constant speaker upper on this forum, the last year has blasted me around and i now find myself in Texas with a dial up connection!!!! Kind of limits the surfing, talking and replying. I quickly learned that if I didn't have a reply on this forum when not 100% convinced that I was correct that there were certain members that would jump all over you for trying to help and not being correct to the 1/4 foot pound or 1 ounce overfill. That tends to scare off the shy. As with anything, the minority kick their shoes offf and dance on the gym floor while the majority stand to the side wishing themselves to get involved.

This post said absolutely nothing BUT it was a reply!!!!! grin.gif

I just wanted to respond to say that even though there may not be as many people we all would like contributing to the forum, it is still very helpful to younger members of the LZOC to be able to read the posts. I'm 32 years old and I've had a basic Zephyr sedan for about five years now. I don't get a lot of time to work on it but I absorb all the information I can from people like yourself and others that know more about these cars than I can ever hope to know. I myself would like to contribute more but I'm afraid I don't know enough to really help anyone. I'm in the "taking information from others" stage I'm afraid. I guess I could input more questions or just say thanks. I guess I'll do that. THANKS to all of you who are contributing and providing a wealth of knowledge to those of us who know very little and need all the help we can get. I'm learning a lot and reading what you provide so please continue.

Matt Rall

post-33039-143137881813_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_V12Bill

David, Good to hear your 2 cents again. Weren't you in FL? Did you sell off some of your cars? Jump back in anytime at all. I have never had anything but a dial up connection so I don't have a clue to anything else.

Bill

Got rid of the Model A and the Lincoln has gone to ray in Orlando. Yes I went from FL to TN to Texas -Geeeeeeez. Still have my baby - the chevy pickup and my Hudson is in the care of Ray in Florida along with an engine and assorted goodies I need to get to me here. I will be checking in more often, still enjoy old cars especially Lincolns - on the prowl for fresh projects. There's a guy close to where I live now that has among other cars a '47 LC Convertible - driver ready to go, everything works just needs some TLC - workin on Him.

Guest imported_V12Bill

Matt, Good to hear that people like you are gaining something from this site. I don't know what Phildaddy is complaining about, but if you have ever belonged to any organization you must know that 100% of the work is done by 10% of the members. That is not to say that the other 90% don't get anything from the group. However 90% of the fun is had by the 10% who contribute. As time goes on you will become part of the 10%.

Bill

• 6 years later...
Hey Phil!!!!!!

How are things?

Hope your doing better with the back problems!

Robert in Michigan(with the 39 Zephyr)

My New Years resolution is to get in touch more with the other Michigan guys. If you're in SE Michigan, check out the FMRCOA. Nice bunch of folks, though they tend to bicker a lot lately over the leadership & poltiics of how the group is run, but still a big bunch of old timers with valuable info.

As for lack of response, even though I've owned my Zephyr going on 13 years and have collected countless parts over the years, I feel as though I'm still learning and have little to contribute to the group at large, but will chime in when i can or if I think I have a question that the group can benefit from (i.e. my recent thread on radiators and differences thereof.... again, a lack of response there too, just 1 person to date)

Jim

I don't think the participation issue isn't limited to the L & Z forum. I found it was very sparse in the Ford category that my car falls in. I have found better venues but none are really stellar. I'm still looking for a good 55 & 56 Ford site that isn't limited to T-Birds and F-100's.

Interesting thread. As you can tell by my join date, I am a new guy with only one years experience with a Lincoln Continental, this site and LZOC. Granted participation is not stellar but there are some great guys, I won't mention names because I would forget somebody, that have given me invaluable help. We have a fairly low production vehicle audience unlike G503 (WW2 Jeeps) and so have much fewer experts to comment. As mentioned earlier, I would rather have somebody comment that really knows than somebody giving out bogus information. I thank all of you for your participation and will rely on you as my project continues.

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

Iv got a old Lincoln that i'm trying to work on but don't know much about cars.Id be a fool to try to give any one advice on these old cars. I'm a member and when i have a request on the car i usually get some good advice.If i don't know what your talking about why should i put in my half cents werth?

I don't think the participation issue isn't limited to the L & Z forum. I found it was very sparse in the Ford category that my car falls in. I have found better venues but none are really stellar. I'm still looking for a good 55 & 56 Ford site that isn't limited to T-Birds and F-100's.

I have a very good friend who is the op manager at a ford dealership in Raytown Mo 64133 (Dick Smith Ford 816 353-1495). He has a 1956 Ford Town Sedan with the 312 engine in extremely good condition. It is blue and white like the one illustrated on your page--I don't know if he is interested in selling. His name is Mike Gatchet--a really great guy. Glenn Lorei b6vt

I have a very good friend who is the op manager at a ford dealership in Raytown Mo 64133 (Dick Smith Ford 816 353-1495). He has a 1956 Ford Town Sedan with the 312 engine in extremely good condition. It is blue and white like the one illustrated on your page--I don't know if he is interested in selling. His name is Mike Gatchet--a really great guy. Glenn Lorei b6vt

Thanks for the heads up. As much as I like these cars, I wouldn't have room for it nor would my wife approve of it if I did. I've already been offered to reacquire the '68 SDV that's in my sig. I still don't know where I will put it once my wife gives me the go-ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

"They" seem to have screwed up this thread by putting the oldest post first (at least on my new Windows 7 computer which, to me at least, is nearly impossible to navigate). This is the first time I have ben able to get into this forum for quite some time.

My Columbia installation in my1941 Continental has been on hold for several months due to several reasons, not the least of which is storage of three of our 2 son's cars in my barn. Nature abhors a vacuum and now all my work space is occupied!

Additionally "Webshots" has deleted ALL of my 6000+ photos in their transition to their new "Smile" application - BUMMER!