AM/FM converter

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

Because I am looking at this 64 Riviera with the wonderbar radio I don't want to mess with anything as far as changing radio's. I don't imagine there is any chance that it might have an FM radio and I don't suppose I could find an AM/FM wonderbar radio. I know they used to make FM converters that hooked into the antenna but the ones I have seen and used were basically worthless. Has anyone ever seen one that worked good that I could possibly hide in the glove box or something. I would prefer this and using the cars existing speakers to putting a unit in the glove box and having to add speakers as long as it works very well. My understanding is the the car already has a rear speaker. Around here the only AM stations are talk radio and traveling in the car to BDE meets around the country AM is not a good option. Thanks

AM/FM Wonderbars did exist but not for a few more years. I know they were around in the early 70's as I have/had one in a Caddy of that era. However, I don't think they will fit in the dashboard of the 64 Riv due to a bigger face to allow the use of 8-tracks without changing the dashboard trims.

Another choice would be to mount a modern radio/CD in the glove box and then use an ipod/cd or sat radio to get whatever you want. Since you have a console, the storage isn't a huge deal.

Buick never had an AM-FM wonderbar radio. Cadillac and Oldsmobile did. The last year for the Wonderbar radio in Buicks was 1965. In the 1963-65 period, Buick offered the Sonomatic AM, the Wonderbar AM and the AM-FM mono in it's full size models. Stereo radios in full size Buick models began in 1966. Signal-seeking radios were reintroduced only in 1977 Buicks while Cadillac continued to offer them throughout this period.