Wheelbase Specifications

hotrod1940

Doesn't sound like these will remain "Old Lincolns" very long, did the same research on a '41 club coupe about 5 years ago, found a modern Ford product that meets the specs you want very well, here is the info you asked for, all body styles had the same specs except the customs-

Specifications: 1940/41 Lincoln Zephyr sedan

Base price: $1,493Base weight: 3,710 poundsBody: Six-passenger all-steel integral body/frame constructionWheelbase: 125 inches Length: 210 inches Track (f/r): 55.5 inches Suspension: Transverse leaf springs with solid axle front; ¾ floating axle rearBrakes: Hydraulic internal expanding on four wheelsEngine:L-head V-12, 2 7/8 X 3 ¾ bore and stroke, 292-cu.in, 120 bhp @ 3500 rpm, 7.2:1 compression ratioTransmission: Three-speed selective sliding gearbox controlled by column shift

Thank you for the reply and info. Rest assured that I will not be doing anything drastic. I fact I don't own either of these cars at the moment. I had a 46 Lincoln coupe as a kid with a Lincoln v8 flathead conversion and I really enjoyed that car. I retired awhile back and I am considering redoing a Lincoln and just was curious as to the specs. A friend of mine recently bought a very nice stock bodied 48 Continental with a 351 engine and updated suspension, it is a really beautiful car. If I found a nice old Lincoln that I could afford and it was running well enough to be a daily driver, I wouldn't alter it in any way. If I found one in poor condition, I would consider updating.

What was the late model chassis that you found to fit well? I don't know that a complete body swap would be feasible with the unibody type construction.

Just weighing the possibilites.

Through out my life, I have loved the challenge of "making something out of nothing" and to that end I talked my Chevy loving son Doug, in to making me a driver out of a '41 Z club coupe that had lain in a riverbed, on it's side in Montana for 20 years, everything on the car was bent, rusted or missing, but Doug rose to the fore. He naturally wanted to put one of his beloved 454's in it, but I vetoed that, and fortunately a girlfriend of his was about to jettison her '82 Lincoln Continental, and measuring it showed it to have with the 5" offset wheels, the same tread as the '41, so Doug transplanted the running gear from the '82 into the Z, rebuilt and straightened the body, over 30 rolls of MIG welding wire went in to it, he found a good '68 SBF, AOD trans, coil spring '82 rearend intact, as well as the front end, PS of course. The car is almost finished, but there are other priorities right now, here is a pic of it presently. The '82 platform was used on other Ford products of the era too, so for a full fledged conversion, it is a good candidate. My new '41 is all stock, with a V-12, BW OD and 7:00 X 16" tires, lots of ways to go until you actually embark on the trip, good luck, Rolf

post-41468-14313788161_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the interesting reply, Did you use the entire frame or just the components. My guess is that the later chassis was a bit shorter. I like the idea of the full frame body off idea because it is so much easier to work on all the framework. I understand that the 1941 lincoln coupe is almost like a unibody, so maybe that isn't the best way to go.

Thanks again