How to remove drive shaft from pinion shaft?

Guffin

After filing or grinding the peened end of the 1/4 inch pin use a hardened flat nose punch with a BIG hammer. Be sure everything is supported so you don't bend the pinion shaft or driveshaft. There is probably a way to do this with a press also.

After you get the pin out you will find that the driveshaft is pressed onto the pinion shaft. I made a tool to remove and replace and can post pictures if needed.

Good Luck

Willie

Thank you Willie. After grinding off the peened end I cant se the contour of the pin! It seems to fit so snug so I can't where the pin is. I will try to etch with something.

On the new diff the driveshaft is cut so I can use an standard puller. To take the old driveshaft off I should appreciate if you could post some picture of your tool. I guess I have to use some heat to get it off??

Jan

These pictures will only be meaningful if you have your parts exposed like Jan.

These are 1955 parts, but others should be the same. The puller was made from a spare torque tube. I cut off the flanges at both ends and then cut the front flange in half. The pieces of the front flange fit in the groove at the end of the driveshaft. The puller is set up in the pictures to install the driveshaft, but can be easily set up to pull.

As you can see all that is needed in addition to the flanges is is some threaded rod, nuts and washers.

I will loan the puller to BCA members on this board.

puller1

puller2

puller3

puller4

Willie

Edited by old-tank
outdated link (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Jan, you are right that forces are directed through the bearings, and although I have never had a problem does not mean that there never will be a problem.

The big nut on the pinion is described as a lock nut and although it preloads the bearings it is not an adjusting nut. Torque from 1955 manual calls for 150 ft lbs minimum. The pinion sleeve lock screws are torqued at 35-40 ft lbs and the nuts on the screws are at 12-15 ft lbs. I recheck the torque on the pinion sleeve lock screws after installing the driveshaft on the pinion shaft.

Willie

I finally managed to get out the pin after drilling part of it out. The pin came out bent so the hole was not straight!? After getting out the pin it was easy to take off the stump of the drive shaft with a puller. I will make a puller similar to your's, Willie, to take off the drive shaft that is now in the car. I think using a puller is the only way to take it off.

Thanks for the help.

Jan