LZ Reliability

raven1943

Just a note to all out there about the reliability of LZ's. I purchase a 1939 LZ sedan about 18 mths ago. She had sat in a large warehouse for over 16 years. You can imagine the shape she was in after neglect and small critters and moths. But, no flat tires, engine turned free, no leaks in the cooling system. Took her home and my wife and I cleand up the outside and did she ever shine even with old paint which is fairly worn a bit. We stripped out all the interior and a good friend re-upholstered the seats, door panels and sewed and new headliners and sewed new carpet(all was done to specs of original items----much info from LZOC magizine and old manuals, etc.)I replaced the master cylinder, all the wheel cylinders, soft brake lines, repacked bearings, and new shoes. Drained and refilled all fluids in trans/rear, and coolings system. Pulled engine and replaced clutch assembly, engine oil pump, pan gaskets/rear seal, cleaned and painted engine, rebuilt carbureator, new spark plug wires, new plugs, rebuilt/set-up distributor and installed a 6 volt alternator, and intalled new electrical wiring/bulbs. After all this it was time to start her up. A little trouble at first until I uncrossed the coil wires. After that she starts so easy, even cold and runs soooo smooth. And beleive it or not, I have not seen any smoke yet after driving her. The old gal accelerates smoothly and eaisly to 50-60 miles per hour, runs cool (right in the middle), oil pressure running is steaddy at 30 PSI, but does drop when idiling ( a little scary at first, but seems to be normal). I hope that others have as good of luch with their LZ's as I have had. This is my first stocker as I am an old street-rodder ( my wife has a '32 Ford 3W Cpe). My LZ is the heat. I have learned quite a bit about repair/maintainence, correct parts, how they go and specs (My LZ had all the original items/parts Henry put on them, even the hassocks). If I can assist anyone please contact me at ravenworks@alltel.net. There are those out there that helped me so much and they will help you with tech advice, parts and just plain frienship. My mentors on LZ's are Earle Brown, Merv Adkins and Alan Whelihan. There are many others also that you may know. Thanks for reading this.

Bennie Pokemire, LZOC # JL 4376

46 Night Heron Ct

Sanford, NC 27332

Hey, congrats on a fine automobile, and it just goes to show what some reasonable maintenance can do.

Sanford? You're in my neck of the woods. I'm in Chapel Hill, so when I'm not messing with cars, I'm busy fighting off bunnyhuggers... smile.gif