8 Volt Batt

I have not had any experience with 8 volt batteries, but lots of experience with 6 volt systems so will give you my suggestion. That is, keep your 6 volt and replace your generator with a 6 volt 50 amp alternator. Alternators charge even at idle (as opposed to generators) and you will immediately notice quicker starting, brighter lights and (always) a fully charged battery. I have made this switch with 3 6- volt systems and have been extremely pleased with the results. I purchased my alternator kits from fifthaveinternetgarage.com and you should ask for Randy. Good luck

Charlie Cain

1949 Packard

1950 Packard

1948 Buick

If you change to an 8 volt battery, unless you change every light bulb in the car your going to burn out every headlite, dash lite , tail lite , interior lite and any else that runs on 6 volt. If you have a slow turning starter motor at 6 volts you can have the starter modified [ easily ] for 4.5 volts which turns over like a new 12 volt car AT 6 volts. I have both my '54 Packards set up this way and as soon as you turn the key they start right up. !!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Just make sure your tuned up good!

.............Steve

I guess I have to disagree- in a limited sense. I have a 1946 GMC pick-up, original in every sense- except it's had an 8-volt battery for 7 to 8 years. The guy at my local Battery Warehouse suggested it. He instructed me to adjust the voltage regulator so the system charges at 10.25 volts- which you accomplish by carefully manipulating (bending) the little tabs that are held in place by springs. (please get written instructions). The truck is driven infrequently, but it has not blown a single bulb. It cranks more like a 12-volt system. I don't crank the starter for extended periods- I am concerned that could damage the starter. The truck has no radio-that could be something that would need extra protection. You also cannot, I don't think, charge the battery with a typical battery charger-if it goes dead. My solution to this was to pester the poor "Battery Tender" guy at Hershey for a few years until they put the 8-volt units back into production. But the 8-volt works very well and I can't complain about 7 years from the same battery!

The owner of our local electrical rebuilder (gen-alt-starter-etc) recommends

the 6-volt Optima instead of an 8-volt battery. He uses them in all his restored tractors instead of 8-volt batteries. I put one in my '28 Olds and am really happy with it. It does a great job, and you don't have to mess with the regulator. Check out that option. Be aware if you run the battery completely down it takes about two days at 8-amps to bring it back to the top.

Good luck with your project and please post your results, no matter which way you go.

Thanx, Dave

post-40107-143137881038_thumb.jpg

Why do you need to switch to 8V?

What problems are you having?

The 8V battery is for overcoming poorly rebuilt systems. Most cars worked great for many years after they were built and now all the sudden they need 8V batteries.

First troubleshoot why your car is not running with properly with 6V. Usually it is just a series of bad connections and grounds.

As far as switching to an alternator, well they ran fine with a generator for many years.

If you do not address the problems then upping the voltage is only a bandaid fix to a real problem and it may come back an bite you later.

Thanks so much to all of you gentlemen for your answers. I called Randy today and discussed the 6 volt alternator which I will probably get later. I did immediately order an Optima battery from my supplier. I'm a fleet Supervisor for a Govt fleet, and a 40 year mechanic, but it's been a while since I've been involved in 6 volt systems, so I asked for help from you who have been activly involed in the "old stuff" You came through with flying colors.

I don't have any problems with the cars electrical system. I just got it and it hasn't been run in 25 years, so I know I need a battery. I just wanted to make the right decision before spending money on the wrong battery. I'm sure i'll find plenty of places to spend money on the car, so don't want to make any bad decisions.

I retired today (My last day and I'm not sure how to act yet!!) and I will keep you all posted as I get into it and bring it back to life.

Thanks again for all your help, i'll be back when the next question arises!!