3-speed 1961 Special

Pete Phillips

Here's my latest "new" old car. Found this in a tiny town in western Kansas for under $2000, where it had been since new. It is unusual in that is has 3-speed standard shift and the 215 aluminum V-8 with no power accessories. Yes, it will really surprise you how fast this thing scoots! 65,000 miles, original paint, rubber floor mats, someone added an aftermarket radio and outside rearview mirrors. It is the base model, #4019, hub caps instead of wheel covers, manual steering (very easy), no automatic door courtesy lights--this thing is bare-bones, but I LOVE it! Solid as a rock, cute, and hardly ever seen anymore. I plan to make it my daily driver. The only thing it needs is an exhaust system.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, TX.

post-33059-143137880997_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_MrEarl

Great find Pete!!! I've been lookin for similar early 1960's "little Buicks" as a daily driver ever since the gas prices have been going up. Would love to see more photos. I especially like looking at the interior, underhood and trunks of such unmolested originals. Please let us see more.

So how many does this make for you. You'll probably have to be movin that ragged ol' 54 out of the way now won't you.

and BTW what is a 1956-46667 confused.gif (mis-print maybe)

Guest wksheldon

Peter:

Very sweet and it will be nice to have another compact at Salado in the spring if you can come down! I had good luck finding a correct style muffer from Waldron's Antique Exhaust (he is in the Bugle) 800.503.9428 or 616.467.7185. Post some more pictures when you get a chance.

Bill

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW what is a 1956-46667 confused.gif (mis-print maybe) </div></div>

Well, if it was a 1966, it would be a Wildcat Custom convertible, a 56-4667X would be a Century convertible.

Pete - very interesting find. I look forward to seeing and hearing more about this car. Baby Buicks are fun, if a bit frustrating (at least in my case). It sounds like you are starting out with something much better than I did.

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW what is a 1956-46667 confused.gif (mis-print maybe) </div></div>

Well, if it was a 1966, it would be a Wildcat Custom convertible, a 56-4667X would be a Century convertible.

</div></div>

Not sure. I was just looking through the BCA roster and saw Petes name under the 1956's and didn't understand what series it might be. You may be correct and it may have erroneously ended up in the 1956 year.