Interested in '60s Continental: what to look for/watch out for?

mci

I'm interested in the '60s Lincoln Continental - particularly the '64...

Is there anything to look out for or be aware of. I want a project car so I can work on it, but not a rust bucket either. I've heard from others to look out for rust on the trunk and roof (is this particularly important?) but other than that not much.

What are some ballpark prices to expect for a decent shape, not show condition, car or what condition can I expect for under $3000?

Thanks in advance

Micah

PS I'm not afraid of body work as long as I'm not rebuilding whole body panels - I custom built my '77 BMW 530i into a pickup (kindof like a Subaru Brat) - so body work & interior is definetly something I can do. (see attached pic)

Guest imported_V12Bill

Micah , I owned a 64 convertible about 11 years ago and it was a fine car to drive and show. Rust is the big culprit in these cars. Beware espechially of rust in the unitized body frame rails. Don't walk but run from rust in the frame structure. Trunk lids and hoods rust from the inside out and are difficult to repair. Rust is common in the dogleg setion of the 1/4 panel and the lower portion of the doors. Rust in foot well sections of the floor is common also.

The 430 engine is almost bullet proof and is a strong engine. Unless someone ran it without oil for a prolonged period of time the engine is the least of your problems.

Bill

Bill is quite correct regarding the 430 (and later 462) engines. They're basically a truck engine and will run a LONG time. However, they're REALLY expensive to rebuild because the head is relatively flat and the combustion chamber is mostly in the cylinder bore. The bore is not perpendicular to the deck and requires a speccial boring bar. The pistons are rights and lefts and they're not cheap. When they eventually die - RIP!

They're great cars though. I particularly like the clean lines of the 1962 models. Lower trunk profile, cleaner grille styling, curved windows and rounded corners on the rear door glass. A very SMOOTH car!

Cecil is right, there will probably be a lot more information about these cars in the LCOC forum.

Good luck!

post-32768-143137880271_thumb.jpg