waterchannels not matching

birger

LZ 39 conv.coupe.Comparing waterchannels on engine top and cylinderheads there is a big differennce in patterns.On engine left between cyl 2/3 and 4/5 and right between cyl 8/9 and 10/11 are holes messuring 2"x13/16".Cylinderheads and gaskets only got holes of app.9/32 size.Do I have wrong cylinderheads? If not,would it be preferable to grind holes in cylinderheads to match engine?Birger

Hey Birger, the only problem I have heard of in this area is the head gaskets some times block some of the holes, and restrict the flow, would help if you gave us the numbers on the outside of the heads, the digits should be 6050/6051, it is the first #'s and letters that are important. I asked my friend in Germany if he could understand Danish, he replied that it is like Chinese to him, Good luck, Rolf

Birger, I believe the vertical opening midway between the cylinders (in the block) were cast the way you describe to aid in the casting process. The cast iron cylinder heads (26h) have the small holes in the area you describe. The cylinder heads do match the water passage openings at the top of the block even though the head gasket itself will have smaller round openings in these areas. It seems the head gaskets were the determining factor in water flow.