My Buick 32-87

Guffin

After failing to find a front seat cushion for my Buick 32-87 I finally decided to make one myself. Fortunately I had the bottom part of the cushion so I only have to make the spiral spring part and the upholtery. First I tried to find a furniture repair workshop to make the job, but they only had spirals for furnitures with a fixed length. As the cushion is sloping backwards every row of springs has to have a different length. I finally found a company making springs. I used my Huppmobile cushion as a pattern. The company has a machine where you can set wire diameter, number of turns and length. You then push a button and out pops springs. The springs has to be heat treated before they can be used.

9904Buick_32-87_front_seat-med.JPG

Each spring has to be enclosed in cloth so that there will be no noise when riding on it. Now I have put in all the springs and tried the cushion in the car. Next step is to make the upholstery. Now I dont have to borrow the Hupp cushion any more when I want to drive the Buick

Below is a photo of the partly finisheh interior

9904Buick_32-87_restoring_the_interior-med.JPG

More can be seen on the Photo Pages

http://photos.aaca.org/showgallery.php?ppuser=9904

Jan

Guest imported_Thriller

Very nice Jan. I look forward to the day I can post a similar shot for my '29-51. The spring info was very interesting. It's good to hear you found a solution.

Guest ZondaC12

WOW thats hardcore restoration! youre literally MAKING seat cushions and upholstery. thats awesome, good job! that'll be something to brag about. a lot.

• 4 months later...
Guest imported_daydreamer

hi little late now but i wonder if the 33 buick seat is the same ? if you can give me the size for future reference. paul 1933 buick registry.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Guffin:

If you send me the frame, body and engine numbers off of your car for my research project, I can tell you when (within a month) you car was built. Regards, Dave Corbin