Rauch & lang Speedometer: What kind?

Guest EMF-Owner

Guest EMF-Owner

I have been trying to locate the missing parts for the 1912 Rauch & Lang Electric car we bought earlier this year. I have found the cowl light and the volt/amp meter. Next on my list is the speedometer head.

The car still has the drive gears on the left front wheel and the cable (or what is left of it) running up into the passenger compartment. The speedometer head is missing. I would like to start looking for it, but I do not know what kind it had.

I imagine it is one that was common at the time (Stewart, etc), but this drive set up is quite different from the one on my 1912 E-M-F which has a Stewart speedometer. I have attached a picture of the drive mechanism to this posting. I am hoping someone here will recognize it and be able to tell me the type of speedometer head I should look for.

An interesting thing about the drive gears is that the small driven gear looks like it is made from a piece of sheet metal or brass. The "teeth" have been accomplished by twisting the metal. This is quite different from the fiber gear on my E-M-F.

There are 2 additional pictures of this drive setup on my clubs webiste. There is an "Auto-Biography" about this car on my clubs website. You are welcome to check it out an read more about this car. Here is a link to the SIACC website:

I look forward to any information that can be provided.

http://dreamwater.org/siacc/auto_bios/bio_6_RL_1912_daly.html

Thanks

post-30782-143137879044_thumb.jpg

John, If there are screw holes on the dash where the head was mounted, they could help as could the thread diameter with T.P.I. of the cable connection if the cable does tread on to the head. Drive doesn't ring a bell with me. There were some very obscure makes and an electric car probably had a 30 mph reading head! Good Luck