1971 GSX stage 1 found

jhkintx

I have located a 1971 GSX stage 1. The car appears to have the original red paint with white interior, it is an automatic with a console shifter. I don't have a lot of Buick knowledge but the hood, striping, spoiler, badging all seem correct. I have only seen the car from the outside. I was told the car does have the 455 and supossedly everything is all original. This car needs a full restoration and the seller is asking $8500. What steps are needed to verify that this car is real and what would be a fair price and value after restoration?

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

I amy be wrong but didn't the full run of GSX's only comme in Yellow or Apollo White? Did you mean to say Yellow paint?

It is easy to clone a GSX so be very careful. GSX's can even be cloned off of base Skylarks with enough work. Recent high prices paid for genuine GSX's will bring the fakes out of the woodwork. It may be legit, but be careful. there are several GSX guys that are on this forum so maybe someone else can assist with specifics but don't get in too much of a rush.

Guest sintid58

The only year that GSX's were yellow or white was 1970. They are fairly easy to document if you know what you are looking for. In 71 and 72 it was just a package on the GS unlike the 70's and you could get them on any color you wanted. There are far fewer 71 and 72 GSX's than the 70's and they only made 678 of the 70's. That said the 71 and 72 are not as popular becuase the engines were detuned and the 71 and 72 are much harder to document whether they are real or not. Most of the time I have been told that unless you have the build sheet of other documentation it can be nearly impossible to be sure you have a GSX in those years. Also the 1970 GSX's were truly special cars and I talked to people in Flint that said they built them all in one production run and they had to wear special jump suits and gloves with no zippers or metal and they could not wear any jewelery or watches when they built them.

Thanks for setting me straight. Sounds like you need a build sheet or a chain of ownership record including photos. Otherwise, watch out. First, make sure the VIN is a GS. For 1971 - it should still be a GS code. I know 71 was the last year for the TRUE Oldsmobile 442. In 72 it was a trim option and no VIN identifer.

Thanks for the info. I will get the VIN and post here. I also found a decent article on the GSX in a recent Hemmings Muscle magazine. The article confirmed that the 70 GSX was avail in White and Yellow only with black interior. In 71 the stage 1 had lower compression and less horsepower. Sounds like locating the build sheet is the only accurate way to validate the GSX Stage1.

• 1 month later...

As usual Brad is right on the the money. So the sheet over the gas tank or the one most likely rolled up and inserted in the driver's A pillar is the only way to really tell if it was offered as a GSX optioned car. The daily car reports from Buick for that year do not cross reference the GSX options to car color, but I have seen at least one that was code 75, Fire Red, so they did make them. Unfortunately, the 71 model year records have never turned up so that is the technical reason for 71 cars, in general, we must have the individual car paperwork to authenticate how it was originally sold. Also, not to confuse the issue but in 71 what were packaged GSX features in 70 were sold by the piece. So, unlike the 70 model year, in 71 it could be correct without a hood tach or even with a vinyl roof.

Jim Lore

Back in early eighties there was a red 71 GSX Stage I in north Dallas area. Sat in a driveway on Coit Road for many years but the owner always said he was going to "restore" it. I don't know what ever became of it but it disappeared. It, too, was red with white interior.