12 Volt Conversion

abelincoln

After pricing 6-volt battery chargers, I'm looking at converting 48 Continental to 12 volts, negative ground. I find GM alternators, mounting brackets, and pullies all available. Ignition should work with a 1.8 or 3 ohm resistor. I'm thinking the starter will take 12 volts OK. Anyone have experience reversing the leads inside the starter (so it won't run backwards)? Is there an inverter to run the heater blower, top and window hydraulic pump, vacuum pump, and instruments on negative 6 volts, positive ground? Thanks

Abe

Guest imported_MikeWilliamsUK

Why not convert the whole thing to 12 volt negative earth whilst you are about it? That's what I am doing, although I've not finished yet. Skip ay FordsRUs can rewind the coils and Ford 12 volt military bits and bobs will work. As I say, the car is nearing the end of a major rebuild so hasn't run yet, but it all seems to be OK.

Mike

Well, what do you know, I hooked up a 12 volt battery and starter relay negative ground, and it turns over clockwise when looking from the front.

Question for Mike and others: How did you handle the heater blower motor, window / top hydraulic motor, vaccum booster motor, gages, and radio?

Thanks

Abe

Guest imported_MikeWilliamsUK

Abe,

Must admit that my car is a British-built Jensen with the Zephyr engine, so some of the electrical parts you mention do not apply. But, many things do not need to be changed, like the starter and most of the instruments. I suggest you ask Skip at FordRUs - he was most helpful to me. You will need new ballast resistors with about a 1.4ohm value as the originals seem to have about 0.5ohm.

Mike