Battery Acid Buildup

its a V-12

Guest imported_V12Bill

I have had this problem also. I had my car in the trim shop for almost a year and half of that time the battery was hooked up, even though I told the owner to disconnect the cables when he didn,t need to operate the car or top or windows. I had a lot of white fuzz all over the battery hold down and the cable connections that I cleaned off with baking soda and water solution.

My usual practice is to disconnect the ground cable when the car is not being used. The only item that is working when the car is not in use is the clock. I have noticed that there is much less white fuzz around the battery when the cables are disconnected but I do remove the battery and cables every spring and clean them and again in the fall. I would guess that there is some "leakage" of current past some of the constantly live terminals on the car to ground that causes the battery to discharge over longer periods of inactivity with the cables attached.

I would appreciate any light that someone knowledgable on the subject could shed

Bill

It may just be luck but I don't get that white build up. I do use chassis grease on the terminals and cable ends and that seems to inhibit that build up.

Wiping the top of the battery every once in a while also seems to help as a small amount of "water" does collect around the filler plugs.