V-12 Starter

abelincoln

Hi, I just took posession of a 48 Continental Cabriolet, a sharp looking car. Problem is the vehicle hasn't run for 20 years and the engine won't turn over. I squirted 3-1 oil in the cylinders, jacked up one rear wheel, locked out the OD, put in high, and tried to turn the nut on the rear axle. No luck. Question: how is the starter attached? don't see any visable bolts on the outside. I'm thinking with the starter out, I can pry the flywheel ring-gear. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Guest imported_V12Bill

There is also a small bracket that is bolted to the starter by one of the long bolts that hold the starter in place and by one of the bolts that also holds the pan in place. Don't lose this bracket as it keeps the starter aligned with the flywheel when torque is applied when starting.

Also if the engine is frozen, there is probably rust in the cylinder walls. Make a 50 - 50 mixture of automatic transmission fluid and diesel fuel or home heating oil. Put a couple of ounces in each cylinder and leave the plugs out. Let the mixture sit for a few days and put the trans in high gear with the OD cable out and rock the car back and forth. This should break the rust loose with out breaking the rings. If this doesn't work, the engine will have to come out and be torn down.

Bill

Abe's '48 should have a 5EH starter, and I do not recall how they are mounted, the ones Diz and Bill are describing sound like the earlier starters, but never having messed with a 5EH, maybe they bolt on the same??? Prying on the ring gear is likely to damage the teeth on the gear, and to replace that you will definitely have to pull the engine, as Bill says, rocking the car in gear is the best way, good luck, I have a buddy who has been soaking a stuck '39 engine for 5 years that I know of, and it still won't budge.

Thanks guys! I loosened the two bolts on the starter, took off the clip in front, and the starter came out just like it was supposed to. I managed to turn the engine about 3/4 turn with a jimmy bar and not break any ring gear teeth. Had to take off the fan belt as the left water pump is dragging. Engine still has quite a bit of resistance, but I'll keep working with. Drained oil had lots of sludge and smelled like varnish, but at least I didn't see any water. Really appreaciate the prompt responses.

abelincoln