Need clarification:

jonlabree

I was looking up part #s on the GM site and came across a strange problem.

I was looking at Brake Calipers for a 1997 Olds Aurora, 2002 Buick Park Ave., 2000 Buick Park Ave.

First let me explain: I have a chance to pick up Calipers from a 2002 Buick Park Ave. very cheap.

Now the part # for the 2002 Park Ave. are:LF#= 18046196 & FR#= 18046197

Part # for the 1997 Olds Arora are:LF#= 18046196 & RF#= 18029819

Part # for the 2000 Buick Park Ave are:LF# 18046196 & FR#= 18029819

Can someone give me an educated guess why the part number for the 2002 is different for only one side?

HELP

JON... confused.gif

Guest MauiWowee

I have run across the same frustrating discrepency. Some say 1997-2002 are the same, some say 1997-2000. Your best bet is to talk to a good parts man before you buy what you can't use.

Guest imported_REATAMANZ

Caliper part numbers should be consecutive as the 2002 Park Avenue "6196 & 6197" are. The 1997 & 2000 right hand caliper number "18029819" is wrong. In fact the 9819 is obsoleted. Therefore my conclusion is that GM has an error in their system.

Guest imported_REATAMANZ

barra, my information was supplied by Delphi Brake Eng'r who looked the part number up in our engineering system. Usually, calipers part numbers change when lining changes are made. Since calipers can go across many vehicle models we have to change part numbers if a platform requests a change or is needed for various reasons with respect to lining needs. noise, etc

Guest imported_REATAMANZ

MauiWowee yes and understandably so I suspect. Live in SW Ohio also Centerville. Retired from GM and have been working for Delphi for the past 7 years doing contract work. Worked many years at the Brake Divison and have spent the last few years working in the Suspension arena. I think soon I might lose my sources for good parts and free advise.

If you live near Centerville give me a shout. Two Reatta 90 convertibles, white with maroon interior.