trunk release will not function using either key or remote

AMarx

I've searched and searched ... maybe it is just buried under too much data.

Using my key and/or remote will not trigger the trunk to open ... I have to crawl in through the back hatch to pull the manual lever.

Using the remote, I hear the sensor switching ... but see no action. Could there be some switch that needs replacing somewhere?

There are a couple of possibilities.

(1) bad relay located on left rear wheel well.

(2) release solenoid has come apart, the common sympton is a round metal plug about the size of a nickle will be laying on the trunk floor.

One of the parts cars I bought has a length of string attached to the emercency release lever, and draped toward the hatch for manual actuation of the trunk latch.

Seems to work fine, in lieu of repair to the solenoid, and much easier than crawling thru to open the trunk.

Of course, this is not an option if one has a convertible, they don't have a hatch to access the trunk.

Guest imported_Flash

WD40 squirted around the key housing as well as into the key lock has kept mine operational for about a year. Wet (as in car wash or continued high humidity) causes mine to stop releasing. I also have the string attached to the emergency release lever.

Thanks, I'll check out the relays. Odd thing, the Maroon Reatta has rectangular relays rather than square ones, like my Maui Blue. And, I remember there was one empty relay slot - perhaps this is the cause. Is there a map somewhere of which relays do what, for the relays located in the trunk? (like for the ones under the hood and in the fuse boxes)

I do know the trunk doesn't actually move for the Reatta. I have pretty sensitive hearing and (when it is quiet around a car) I can actually hear switches activate when a person uses a remote. For the Reatta, I hear a static click somewhere behind the driver's side seat. What I expect (and don't hear) is the solenoid activate the locking mechanism for the trunk.

Regarding the nickel-size object, I found nothing on the floor of the trunk; but, I look a little more closely this weekend.

Thanks much everyone!

Once, when my trunk wouldn't open, I laid my upper body weight on the trunk lid in order to release the tension on the trunk release mechanism and then accuated the key, it opened. Still had to lift with fingertips but after lubricating with WD40, never had a problem again. Just a thought.

This happened to me several years ago on my '91. After experimenting, and by just dumb luck, I discovered that the release worked with the car in neutral. The safety switch which allows the trunk only to be opened in park or neutral had become loose. Tightening it up fixed the problem.

Turns out that something must have been wrong with the solenoid. ... if that's the correct term for the mechanical trigger that opens the trunk lock. I replaced it and the trunk opens like new.

Now, I just have to deal with my remote ... it just died on me! (Just the battery, I hope.)