Moving Day

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

I'm tired. Today was moving day. I put about 400 km on Max with a trailer behind (loaded about 40% of the time). Happily we had a tractor to pull the cars up as everyone I asked to help out was either sick or had family commitments. The most painful one was the Invicta - I knew it had a flat, so brought another along with me...well, I'd always had trouble trying to remove that tire - after some soaking in Liquid Wrench, all that happened was snapping off one stud...sigh. We moved it with a flat, which was just as well as the tire I brought was leaking around the valve stem.

I kind of got hosed by the other fellow pulling a car for me - he owed me a refund for the prepaid storage he couldn't deliver on. After he took out the trailer rental, fuel for his truck, and his time, well, let's just say he was paid well for his efforts today.

Anyway, it has been a long time since either the Roadmaster or the Invicta have seen the light of day. It was nice to be able to get some extra inspection of the '29. The wood that I could see at the back of the car once it was up on the trailer looked to be in good condition.

Anyway, the '52 was loaded first and we're getting ready to pull the '29 up behind Max.

52_29_loading1.jpg

Here's the '29 after loading. Note how close to the ground the back of the trailer is. At the rental place they insisted that I go with a receiver with the ball higher up than I had set up (never mind that I had used that one with a 2000 Sierra 1500 with a cap on and I now have a 2005 K2500 with heavy duty everything). Had it been set up the way I wanted, there would have been less danger of ripping the back of the trailer off.

29loaded2.jpg

We made that trip using back roads, so everything got dirty as it has been a bit wet lately. After getting back, I took the Invicta on a second load and came home.

These things always take longer than you plan for. Oh well.

Here's a shot of two of them in their new home (a concrete building with no mice) near the owner's '59 LeSabre (he's mostly a Mopar guy, but I forgive him).

new_home3.jpg

I took a shot of the '29, but was too far away for the flash to have enough effect. Oh well.

At least it is done and happened before the snow.

The cars do look good. Amazing thing about Buicks. A little dirt never seems to take away from them.

What are your overall plans? Is the new location closer to yo0u and are you going to start refurbishment?

JD

Guest imported_Thriller

The new spot is actually farther from home (about an hour or so drive), but easy to get to and less expensive. It is owned by a car guy who goes out there regularly, so if I want, I'll get plenty of opportunity to get out to look, take detailed photos, tinker a bit.

This winter, the '66 Wildcat is undergoing the transformation with the intent of having it in Rochester (seeing as it is already registered and all). I'm not sure yet what will happen after that. I'll likely pick one of these three to work on. That being said, I could also spruce up the '62 Special some more. I'm thinking about just driving and enjoying next summer. I guess it depends a bit on space (i.e. whether or not I replace my garage next spring / summer) and some other considerations.

I haven't decided at all which car will get worked on next. The Roadmaster needs the least amount of work, the Invicta is the most luxurious so would be nice to ride in, but it would also be nice to see the '29 on the road again...sigh.

Sorry for the wishy-washiness. I guess it would have been shorter to say "I don't know just yet." grin.gif

I know I don't have a vote here, but I'd pick the 29 next. You just don't see them out on the road and its such a unique, big old car. Very different driving experience too. Maybe you want guys to give you their choice? Might be interesting to see what the most popular choice is.

Of course you can ignore us all and do the one you want... that's fair too!

Cheers.