my new buick

oliwood

All depends on what condition your condition is in, as the song says. If you could post some details on that, and maybe a picture or two, you'd likely get some good tips. I really like the big '65 Buicks, having had a 4-door "post" Electra 225 many years ago. However, that was before my "resto" days, and all I remember was the engine and tranny were very reliable, and the body rusted worst behind at the back of the rear wheel wells, leaving holes to fix in the trunk. Short-term safety-wise, make sure it has the engine "tie-down" at the driver's side front of the engine. This was a safety recall, as a broken motor mount (common) will allow the engine torque to open the throttle. Sounds weird, but it does happen. There should be a piece of cable or chain connected to the engine and looped around a solid piece of the suspension or frame. There's a picture of this over on the 1960 Electra 225 Convertible R&R thread on this forum.

I have check the car over and heard of this recall before. the motor mounts are in good conditions, but will be replaced when the motor gets put for rebuild. The car is sound and solid, and is showing signs of cancer as described and i already have metal on the way for it.

thanks, any tips do help

We really do need for you to give some further details like Guy said.

Since you have the rust he spoke of, have you looked thoroughly under the car at the brake and fuel lines?

Also what is the milage on the car? And which engine is in it, the 300 cu in 4 bbl?

Does it have A/C and other power options? How about a vinyl roof?

And what is the history of upkeep? A Penn car? Stored indoors or outside? When was it last used?

The 65 is a beautiful car, and I always loved the Electra I used to drive back in my high school days. But there are so many variables that it's next to impossible for anyone to just blindly start kicking out suggestions in the blind.

JD

That's a good choice!

When I was 9 years old, my classmate Annie's mother had one. When I told Annie how much I liked her mother's car, she told me I wasn't alone as her mother really liked it too, even if it was in poor condition! It was a light green 45437 Custom coupe with a 300-2 and a 2 speed ST-300. The car was about 20 years old back then and it's body was rusted, mainly the lower front fenders and the rear quarters. It's paint was VERY faded with surface rust all over the top. Still I loved it's design, W-shaped ends and it's unusual roof line that didn't arrive flush with the rear quarter (remember, that was when the Chrysler K cars, X body front drive Skylarks and other new cars that looked like boxes were popular). I couldn't stop looking at this 65 LeSabre from all angles and I was also impressed by it's nice black interior. My friends were much less impressed again thought I was crazy! (they couldn't figure why I was collecting tube radios, and why I was wearing a gold-plated automatic watch instead of a Casio watch in elementary school!) crazy.gif Being born in 1977, I was amazed to see that a two door had 6 window cranks and that the rear windows could roll down and leave no center pillar! I wished my parents would have such a cool car instead of their ugly Volks Diesel! I really liked the 65's dash design too. It had very few options: auto trans, full wheel covers (right front and left rear ones were missing), back up lights, a Sonomatic radio, tilt steering and a clock.

When I was in grade 6 the car moved and I didn't keep trace of it.

A few years later, (I was 14 then) my 15 years old cousin who knew that I liked old Buicks told me he saw an old LeSabre for sale in a small village about 10 miles away from my hometown. He described it so well that I knew he was speaking about the same car. Here's what he told me: "It has strange W-shaped ends with Buick letters stamped in the hood and deck lid's chrome trim, a deep grille with horizontal bars, a big gas cap (actually a gas door) with a Buick emblem on it, 3 "holes" on the front fenders, rust on the roof and a very faded green paint". Not bad for a teenager that didn't like cars! I took my bicycle and went to look at it the same afternoon. There was nobody home but I noted the phone number on the "for sale" ad. I called it's owner later in the afternoon (I don't think it was Annie's mother) and she told me it didn't look good but it was in running condition and she wanted 800$ for it... I was ready to buy it but I was still too young to drive it and my parents who had arguments with me about it refused...

Somebody else eventually bought it and made a cheap repaint in a darker metallic green color. The front seat now had a split and some stainless mouldings were missing on the fenders and rear quarters. The original wheels were replaced with newer (and incorrect) Buick chrome rims and no center caps. He was trying to sell the car for 5000$... (that was in 1991). I never saw it since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 65 is a beautiful car, and I always loved the Electra I used to drive back in my high school days.</div></div>

AHA! So I wasn't the only high school kid driving around in a '65 Electra. Cruising in 2nd around town and snapping everyone's head back punching the gas--even with a car load of riders--was probably the most, and safest, fun I had with it.

Oliwood, regarding "NEW ENGINE MOUNTS" with all due respect, they came from the factory with "new" mounts and they still were recalled for the tie-down. As I posted elsewhere, after an engine swap with new mounts, my Electra snapped the front one in less than 200 miles! They just won't take the upward torque force for very long. It's not worth the risk--replace the cable after you put in the new mounts.

I'm sorry Guy, but I should've clarified earlier. I always take to a project that if you replace something, try your best to replace everything in it's way. It will make this job a little tougher but the next one won't be. I do not mean to sound rude, because I will benifit and thank you for every bit of advice you will donate. I'm in the process of getting pics and more info for you guys.

Thanks a bunch so far,

Jake

Gee, no worries oliwood! I just thought it was worth giving you a heads-up on the engine mount thing. I hope to hear more about your car, and there are a ton of knowledgeable people here who will do everything they can to help you move the project along. It will probably take a while before you know all the "issues" that you're confronted with and then you can fill us in more. Keep us posted on developments, and more power to you and your new Buick!

The one I drove was a 4 door hardtop ( no post) with the 401 and A/C. We went through three engine mounts. At the same time we had this car my sister had a 66 Caprice with the 283. The Caprice was recalled but we never got a recall on the Electra.

When the first set went my brother was driving it with my dad. My dad couldn't understand what he was talking about, so he showed him. I wasn't there but bro claimed the throttle dropped to the floor and the fan was scraping the heck out of the shroud and the car was next to impossible to stop, untill my dad reached over and killed the ignition.

I did love that car. Maybe someday I'll get another, only this time it has to be a convertible in yellow.

JD