Family Research, Help needed in ID of a Old Automobile

gkrenzelok

Bob and Dave

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me identify my great grandparent?s car. I have loved this picture for years and I always wondered what the car was. It is nice now to be able to tell our family and friends the make of the car. Can you tell me where it was made and where I can find out a little bit more about the makers? My grandparents farmed in Polk County Wisconsin and the picture was taken in front of their farm.

Again, thank you so much!

Greg Krenzelok, Kalgin Island, Alaska

Guest c.johnson

Quote from "Standard Catalog of American cars 1805 to 1942"

"The Krit Motor Car Company of Detroit was organized during the summer of 1909 to manufacture cars designed by Kenneth Crittended, formerly of Ford and Regal. Claude S. Briggs and W.S. Piffins were among the people involved in the venture. .... During 1910 the car proved to be effective hill climbers, winning a half dozed events from Georgia to Kansas to New Jersey. Kirts were four-cylinder cars for the whole of thier lives, except for the 1913 when a Krit Six was introduced at the Chicago Automobile Show and was marketed for that single year only. The Company was in financial trouble most of the time. ... The onset of the war in Europe hurt the Company further, because it had enjoyed a healthly export trade. By January 1915 bothe the Kirt Motor company and the Krit Sales Company were petitioned for bankruptcy. One Final reorganization was tried in February, but following that, defeat was finally admitted. ... Interestingly the Krit's swastika trademark had been selected, according to the company, "to ensure favor of auspicous gods.""

There was a Krit on display in the National Automobile Museum in Reno, NV when I was there a year ago. Don't know remember the year, but I think it was a '13.

cj