valveclearence lz39

birger

Guest imported_V12Bill

I would think that the clearance would be the same as for the Ford V 8 or the 36-37 V 12. But more important would be , is the cam ground for solid lifters or hydralic lifters? I have seen engines that had solid lifters with a cam ground for hydraulic lifters and the lobes of the camshaft were wiped because the shape of the lobe is very steep for hydraulic lifters and more gentle for solid lifters.

Bill

Like Bill says there are no clearance ramps on a hydraulic cam. The clearance for the solid tappet engines is .010"-.012" for the intakes and .014"to .016" for the exhaust. It is difficult to get the clearance correct when using the solid tappets on a hydraulic cam and you may end up with more tappet noise ( than a flathead V8) along with more wear. Hopefully you are using these solid tappets on a cam ground for them.

Thanks for the warning.I have just bought this car,and seller told me that he was suggested to change to solid lifters to safe oilpressure.He also changed oilpump to an improved type,so I hope it will do no harm going back to hydraulic.Birger

Guest imported_V12Bill

38 - 39 Lincolns used a different lifter than the 40 to 48 Lincols. I have had good luck rebuilding the later model ones. It is possible that some one replaced your lifters with the later model lifters. I have run my Lincolns with the hydraulic lifters and have no trouble with them at all. A newer style high volumn oil pump is always a good idea. If you tear down the engine, consider haveing the cam rebuild by welding new metal in the worn lobes and regrinding the shaft.

Bill

If you change back to hydraulic tappets be sure to check out the oil line that feeds them. Some guys would plug this line when converting to solid tappets. There is a small bypass valve under the cap nut next to the fuel pump push rod bushing. Be sure this is in place and functional. The pressure relief ball and spring under the cap nut at the front of the engine in the valve galley also has to be inplace and functional.

Taking off the inletmanifol there is a coppertube going from front of fuelpushrod and forward to frontwall of valvechamber.Is this part of oilpressuresystem for the hydraulic lifters?The oilpressure that activates the hyd.lifters,is it coming from the camchamber or is coming via the 2 small holes in valveliftercylinders?When cranking the engine,should oil then come out of these 2 small holes?Sorry for my bad English,but tecnical matters are not easy to explain.Thanks-Birger

Without seeing the actual lay out I'm not sure what they were trying to do. The copper tube is difinitely not part of the original oil system for the hydraulic tappets. That oil line is cast into the block and feeds each tappet individually. All I can think of without seeing this set up is that someone connected a copper tube from the feed hole where the by-pass was installed at the fuel pump bushing and ran it to the relief valve area at the front? This would by-pass the oil lines that go to the lifters. Have no idea if they utilized some kind of relief valve in this plumbing.

Bill, have you got any ideas about this?

The oilsupportvalve in front of fuelpushrod was blocked,I removed the device and oil is now comming out at the little by-passvalve under capnut.Under frontcapnut there is a ball and spring which moves freely. If I understand all this correct,Ill have to mount new capnuts, both at rear and in front-capnuts without drilled holes in top?If everything is working,should oil then come out of small holes in valveliftercylinders?Thanks again-Birger

I think you've got it now. Oil flows thru that small by-pass valve into the oil line and then feeds the tappet bores. Oil should flow out these holes in the tappet bores with the caps in place. It does take a small amount of pressure for the oil to pass thru the by-pass valve into the feed line. The relief valve at the front doesn't allow oil pressure to exceed about 20psi in this feed line. Excess oil exits above the timing gear. If the tubing connects to the caps at either end you may be able to either plug the holes or replace the caps. It may be a lot easier to plug the caps as replacements may not be easy to find.