1958 olds starfire , Whats the starfire

Dave98

• 5 years later...
Guest Rbodymopar
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the starfire emblem on my rear door panels of my 58 olds 98 mean , is it a interior package or what was the signifigance?
1957-58 Ninety Eights were called "Starfire 98" in all the sales material. I've seen this in Holiday Sedans, but I can't remember if it's in 4-door post sedans or not.

Well, this is a question I have had for many, many years.

I grew up with Oldsmobiles, and only knew of '54-'56 Starfires (convertible 98's), and not another Starfire until 1961; that is, untill I personally saw a couple of 1958 98 4-door cars that had "Starfire" emblems inside the rear doors.

Anything new on this?? :confused::confused:

About 20 years ago, before internet and e-mail attachments, I had some guy send me some pictures of his '58 Olds Ninety-Eight convertible, which was in rough shape. However, the "Starfire" script was on the inside panels of the doors, above the arm rests, in the center.

To the best of my knowledge, they were only on some of the 98s, and have since seen pics on 4-doors as well. Can only conclude for '58 that they were an interior option package of some sort, even if it's only a carry-over from '57s where all the 98s were called "Starfire 98s", though it's nowhere to be found on the exterior of the '57s or '58s.

It may well be in there, don't have all the '58 literature, so I stand to be corrected, but I haven't found (so far in my perusals) where "Starfire" is even mentioned for the '58s.

According to my friend Tom Bogo, who has a beautiful '58 Super 88 Fiesta wagon, and a great collection of '58 literature and memorabilia, he says:

"I believe the 98's top interior option sported the Starfire badge, hand-buffed leather, brushed aluminum trim & luxurious carpet lend the air of elegance. That's what I take from the showroom brochures."

Starfireelvis, You are correct--- top of the line 98. Back in the early 60's I had a convertible and I do have a picture of the door panel someplace with the starfire emblem on the door.

If I can find it I will post it. Its an old polaroid, hope it works. I have seen 2 really bad rust bucket 98 converts without the starfire emblem.

ED

For '57, all 98s (even the post sedan) were referred to as Starfire 98s in factory literature. Fenders wore Ninety Eight badges. Starfire appeared nowhere on the car:

1957%20Oldsmobile-11.jpg?m=1305546947

This really isn't unusual. Remember that Olds introduced the 98 for 1941, but Ninety Eight exterior badging didn't appear until 1952. In fact, prior to 1949, series badging didn't appear on any Oldsmobile. Futuramic badging appeared in '49, and the 88 numerals were added to differentiate it from the 76, which was unmarked. Olds would so something similar in 1961 - the 98 line was referred to as Classic 98 in sales materials, but badging still called them "just" Ninety Eights. I seem to recall them using the Classic 98 term in '52 as well, but I couldn't find anything to back that up.

For '58, Olds dropped the Starfire from all Ninety Eights (and also switched back from numerals to spelling it out) in sales materials. However, the sales brochure clearly shows a Starfire emblem on the rear interior door panel of a Ninety Eight Holiday Sedan:

1958%20Oldsmobile-22-23.jpg?m=1306908193

There was no such thing as a Starfire interior package. All Ninety Eight interiors were trimmed the same, model for model.

Paul

Guest Jim_Edwards
Starfireelvis, You are correct--- top of the line 98. Back in the early 60's I had a convertible and I do have a picture of the door panel someplace with the starfire emblem on the door.

If I can find it I will post it. Its an old polaroid, hope it works. I have seen 2 really bad rust bucket 98 converts without the starfire emblem.

ED

From '61 through '64 the Starfire was a model unto itself build on GM's "B" body which was shared with 88's, Super 88's, Pontiac Grand Prix and Chevy Impala along with a host of less sporty or luxurious cars from various GM divisions.

Had to stop earlier today because it was time for lunch...

According to the parts book, '57 98 convertibles, Holiday Coupes and Holiday Sedans (but not the post sedan) had "Ninety Eight" emblems on the front interior door panels.

A "Star Fire" emblem is listed for the front interior door panels of '58 98 convertibles and Holiday Sedans only. What's interesting is that it shows a quantity used of 4. The '57 Ninety Eight emblem only shows a quantity of 2. There is no listing for a Star Fire emblem for the rear door on Holiday Sedans (which the sales brochure clearly shows us), so I am assuming the Holiday Sedan used this emblem an all 4 doors.

I was searching for interior photos showing the Star Fire emblems, but I was unsuccessful. We'll see what turns up in Wheeling next week...

Paul

• 5 years later...
Guest Karenannn

Sorry but I just found this forum. My family owned a 1958 Olds convertible '98, with "starfire" on the inside door panels. It had 3 2-barreled carbs with a progressive linkage system, along with an oversize engine and the suspension system was hydraulic with "ballons" (sorry I can't remember what they were technically called) rather than a regular suspension system. We were told the vehicle was "prototype and experimental" for for the actual starfire created the following year. I have to add, that the auto was used in the Chicago Shriners national convention - my father was a Chicago policeman as well as being a shriner. The dealer had 2 of these autos - one lavender, one cream - of course my Dad picked the cream color! My parents used that car to "bribe" me to move to California with them - giving me the car for their end of the deal. It had a lockable, from the glove box, removable transistor radio. Can you tell I loved that car, only thing is I knew nothing about maintaining cars back then. Too bad!

On 6/17/2011 at 2:12 PM, Jim_Edwards said:

From '61 through '64 the Starfire was a model unto itself build on GM's "B" body which was shared with 88's, Super 88's, Pontiac Grand Prix and Chevy Impala along with a host of less sporty or luxurious cars from various GM divisions.

Actually, the B-body Starfire was built as a unique model with a unique VIN from 1961 through 1966 model years (and yes, that car is unrelated to the OP's question, but I'd like to prevent truth decay).  There was a gorgeous black 1965 Starfire four speed car at the OCA Nationals last week.

As to the car in the original post, I do not believe it was experimental.  It sounds like what was readily available in 1958.  We are talking the 371 c.i. engine with the J-2 (3 dueces) option, the air ride suspension and the trans-portable radio.