1964 Electra 225 with the 445 Wildcat engine (401cu)

wladerach

I have a recently acquired a 1964 Electra 225 (I am the second owner of this 41 year old sweetheart) with a Wildcat 445 engine (401cu). The placard on the air filter cover identifies the engine as the "445 Wildcat engine"). I and my mechanic have been unable to determine what type of CARB is attached to this engine. We both believe it is the original CARB...but cannot find any markings on the CARB itself. Carter or Rochester? Any search advice would be very helpful. The car will run all day. I drove it from Duluth MN to Northern, VA without fault (1400 miles). However when you stomp on the gas it hesitates. We are lost as to which rebuild kit to order. HELP if you can.

Dumbfounded,

Bill

Well we can't put up with that stumble when we should be smoke'n the tires!! wink.gif If it's a Rochester the carb would be made up of 3 main parts, grin.giflaugh.gif (1) The base or mounting flange, looks like an iron casting, (2) the body or float bowl, (3) and the top or bowl cover. also the air/fuel screws are parallel with the manifold and the fuel inlet is towards the drivers side of vehicle. The Carter will have only two major parts, shocked.gif(1) the body or float bowl witch has the mounting flange cast in and (2) the top or bowl cover. Also the idle air screws are at aboult a 45 degree angle to the manifold pointing upward. The fuel inlet is toward the pass. side. Once you ident. them you will see the difference blush.gif

• 3 months later...