replace clutch/pressure plate,o.k. for novice?

Guest 1959olds

Guest 1959olds

1940 Olds, 6 cylinder, 3 speed. Being a novice mechanic at best, should I attempt this in my garage at home? I never have messed with this before and wonder what suggestions are out there. The last thing I want is to wish I hadn't tackled the job half way through the project and would enjoy any and all comments on the subject.

If the bellhouse can be removed from the engine without the engine falling on the ground you should be able to handle what is largely a bolt on repair job EXCEPT you can plan on getting the flywheel off to take it to a shop for resurfacing. It will probably be scored at the least or burned at the worst. You will need a clutch disc alignment tool to hold the disc centered when the pressure plate is reattached. Little problems like the throw out bearing should be replaced at the same time and the pilot bearing in the crankshaft end might need to be replaced. Good luck Stude8

Guest Randy Berger

Stude8 gives good advice. If you have another car nut near you have him critique your plan. Lay out the steps on paper first perhaps following an old Motors Manual and take your time. You can do this.

Stude8 does indeed offer good advice. One other thing: keep a Sharpie marker handy and mark the position of the flywheel relative to the crank and be sure to re-assemble the flywheel to the crank in that orientation. Look up the torque specs in an old motors manual or OE shop manual. Torque the bolts by hand, in an opposing pattern, DO NOT USE an impact and say "tight is tight". Do it by hand, and make "tight till right".

One other suggestion I have is: When you get mad, upset and angry at the job just walk away. It never fails to happen even on the smallest jobs.

When that happens, clean your hands and tools and walk away from the job. It is always easier when you are in a good frame of mind. The job will be there later. Dont forget, working on cars is supposed to be fun and take your mind off of the cares of the world.

You can do the job, there is nothing hard about it. Take your time, follow the plan you lay out and it will get done.

Excellent advice. I would add tired to the list. My Bill was working on the engine of the 1939 Dodge we have. Before we bought it someone had poured a Coke into the gas tank and of course it messed the engine up. And it sat for several years in a junk yard before we bought it.

A friend told him how to get the pistons unstuck and they were all out but one. Bill was very tired, wanted to get that last one out and hit the piece of wood a little to hard and broke the piston. He should have walked away and gone back the next day after letting it soak again overnight.

• 2 weeks later...

I know nothing of the GM products of that era either, but will tell you that if it has a closed drive line system, (as I know the '47 Chevy does), then one of the first jobs on the list should be the loosening of the rear end and torque tube and pulling them back to allow you room to remove the tranny. A quick word of advice here, when you jack the car up, or if you put it on a lift, make sure you remove the weight of the vehicle from the rear axle. Use jack stands and brace the frame of the car up and the wheels on the ground so you can roll the rear axle back. This is the way my dad did it and it seemed to work well and was faster than any method my uncle tried when he was doing it. Good luck.