help to identify this vehicle

Jim_Schlenker425

I purchased this mid-30's pickup here in Venezuela last year and cannot identify what it is (or was - as it had unfortunately suffered several modifications when we bought it. We thought it was a Ford. I have additional pictures if needed --- Thanks in advance for your help.

I am sincerely enoying the forum - this is the first time I've visited a forum. I was given the address in the process of trying to identify my pickup. Seeing all the really wonderful cars that the members have restored makes me a little embarresed to send pictures of this pickup. I wish I could have restored to original but in addition to the difficulties of getting parts and especially information here in Venezuela, I don't even know what it is!

I have contacted several leads including MACK, Dodge and other web pages looking for a match w/o luck. The cab shape looks like a 35 or 36 Chev. but this cab has 3 reaised "ribs" that go around the cab and doors - the top and bottom are about 1/2" and end pointed (the Chev.is different)about 6 or 7" in front of the doors, the center ridge is about an inch wide and continues down each side of the hood ending just before the radiator couling. The outside door handles were located on this center ridge. This cab had air vents on both sides and another in the center in front of the windshield. Those are some items that I'm sure have not been modified. It has no VIN or #'s of any kind.

Any help, ideas or suggestion on what I can do or who I can talk to will certainly be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jim

Guest De Soto Frank

Jim,

I think you might have a "bitsa", as the English refer to them...

"Bits o'this, and bits o'that...".

Here's my stab at ID:

Here's what I think it's not: Ford, Chevy, Dodge, IHC.

(And coming from S. America, this thing might have European origins...)

The cab looks like E or L model Mack, both are from the '40's.

The radiator shell looks like L-model Mack (but would've had vertical shutters as it came from Allentown).

The hood also looks like Mack - L-model, perhaps even B-model.

The front fenders look as though they're made to clear 20" tires.

Likewise the rear fenders.

What's in it for running gear ?

Other ideas about the cab, if it's not Mack oriented, might be 1950's White.

Hope that's some help...if you post the photo at one of the Antique truck club sites, you might get some "big truck" guys who can ID it...

I think this uses sheet metal from a "big truck".

The Mack Jr. was actually built for Mack by Reo.

Good luck !

Frank,

Thanks for your reply.

I've been thinking about the possibility of this truck being from Europe - you may be right. I "popped off" and bought it w/o knowing anything about what I was buying. The frame it was mounted on was a "72 Ford pickup, the motor a 360 AMC and so on. What I bought that I kept was the cab and 4 fenders - these fenders had been modified and are probably of no use to help identify. The only part that hasn't been modifyed is the cab.

Thanks again,

Jim