Kick in Overdrive

its a V-12

In the absence of receiving my repro owners manual can someone please tell me how to engage and disengage the overdrive in a '48 LC V-12. Also, when is it appropriate to use the overdrive? highway driving, in town or above a certain speed?. Is there anything I should be careful in doing when using the overdrive feature? Any help/advise is greatly appreciated. Regards

If everything is wired correctly and all parts are working like they should all you have to do is push in the overdrive cable which turns on the power through the lock out switch to the govenor enabling it (when you reach approx. 25-35mph)to send power to your OD soleinoid thus engaging your OD. If it doesnt work check the fuse by the OD relay.

I leave mine on all the time as it will kick in and out as needed, only problem is when it kicks out you go in to freewheeling until you step on the gas.

The button under the gas pedal is called the "Kickdown Switch", when you are in OD, and need to pass someone ar are bogging down on a steep hill, by pushing the accelerator pedal all the way down, this will put you temporarily back in conventional, when the need has passed, and you back off the accelerator, it will go back in to OD again. If you want to not use the OD, when the car is stopped, pull the OD knob out fully, this will put you in conventional, and the OD will not work, you can push the OD cable in while moving, but it will grind if you try to pull it out when moving. I personally like the compression and control, and the ability to use the gears as a parking brake in conventional, so am more inclined to just push the OD cable in at speed, and leave it out when not on the highway, strictly a matter of preference, hope this helps

On Your Overdrive Question ; I would like to suggest that You

Go to the 'Scources Page' And go to EARLE BROWNS Add And Open

his Catalogue .. On Page 4 down about 3/4 of the way He lists

a Pamplet ie; The Overdrive By Borg Warner; which covers 41-48

LZ/LC Overdrives . I have One ,it Has 16 Pages ,Cost $15.00, and

is Well Worth the money...It answers A lot Of Questions When You

Have a Problem or Just Want Information..