Driving my 37

AceCollins

My college son's Mustang has been in the shop, so he took my mini-van back to college for the week. I have driven my 37 LZ Sedan all week for everything I do. Except for the brakes, which don't really grab like they should, still need adjustment, the car has been a pleasure. I do get cornered everywhere I park with folks asking questions and just admiring the car's lines. Drive throughs at fast food places are a real hoot! The ride, the way the car handles, just blows me away. The fact that at lights I only know the motor is turning is by looking at the instruments, it is that quiet, it something you have to experience. I have written all of this just to point out the real joy it is to share this car with the world on a daily basis. Imagine a car with 40 year old paint getting this kind of attention. I encourage all of you guys to share your car with the world whenever you can.

Way to go Ace! I was taking turns driving my 48 Lincoln, 40 Packard and a 1915 Mitchell speedster just a few weeks ago, mostly just to keep everything lubed and working, plus they all needed gas and everytime I would stop for gas people would gather and ask question, and I would always give people rides if they had the time, this time I had a Lady that showed me a picture of her and her husband getting in a 48 Lincoln Conv like mine on thier wedding day when the car was new So I asked her if she and her husband would like to go for a ride, her husband declined but she came with me and enjoyed every minute. When you give people rides in your car they never forget it and I do it every chance I get just to share the old car experiance.

Except for the brakes, Auburns had hydralics, the Lincoln is a better driving car. Steering is better, with the rebuilt shocks the the Zephyr rides very well, in truth the Auburn does too. The V12 starts easily, incredibly smooth (can't hear it at lights) and I have great oil pressure. Took it out one day last week when it was 109 outside temperature, hottest October day in history, and it never heated up as I drove around town. I do keep breaking speedo cables. Had to rig a 38 Columbia on my 37 and the cable bends weird. Also have a rear grease seal I need to fix on the axle, it leaks. Do you all know who has those? Finally, you haven't heard from me because I have had book deadlines. I am almost ahead again now.

I'm sure that Dan Krehbiel can supply new rear axle grease seals. He had already installed one in an axle housing for my '39 Columbia before he shipped it to me. He probably has the seal that goes in the rear hub as well - that one is a LOT easier to replace!

As to driving your Zephyr - BE CAREFUL OUT THERE! I've been very nervous about driving our '39. It will easily run at 75mph after installing the Columbia and having the wheels balanced, but the image of that Buick Roadmaster appearing out of nowhere in front of our '97 Town Car last April keeps flashing in my mind. If we had been in the Zephyr, we would both be dead! The air bags and seat belts in the Town Car saved our lives. (attachment).

I too, enjoyed the "Nancy Story". What an incredible witness!

Best Regards,

Thanks. I will get with Dan on the seals. I drive very defensively whenever I am in the old stuff. It is amazing how sharp my eyes get and how much room there is between me and the next vehicle. I trust no one. Thanks for the comments on Nancy story. I have written many books and garndered some good sales, but that magazine feature has touched more lives than anything I have ever penned. It was all Nancy's story, I was just the vehicle that got to drive it home.