early auto trunk please help me identify! full pics now included

artandsoulcomp

Hello

i found an early auto trunk/carriage boot? at a local auction. i have no clue what year it could be im guessing 1900-1905. there is no record of this brand ajax trunks new york or pics of a trunk like this online that ive found so far. does anyone know what or who i should talk to about the trunk? thank you

i have more pics if needed i can email them to you!

here is a pic of an identical trunk/boot?

this is the only pic online i could find and it took me 3 days. does anyone know who I could email or talk to about this trunk/boot? the trunk in the pic is in england and the same question was asked about it with no response. hellp confused.gif

this trunk is also rather big

4' long

25" tall

15" deep at bottom

8" deep at top

and has leather handles,leather hinges, the trunk in the pic has metal handles.

These trunks were frequently used on cars in the 20's and 30's. This one looks like it would mount to a trunk rack at the rear of the car. There were many after-market trunk makers back then so its hard to give any definitive info on the particular trunk you have pictures of.

well at least i have a starting point! im guessing these are rare?

seems there is no info on these readily available anywhere. im off to look at pics of 20s-30s cars for a pic of the trunk possibly attached to a car. this was made in new york but maybe a custom order. at least ive only got 10.00 in it! thanks all info is appreciated.

These early trunks are not all that rare, they all ended up in attics and basements used for storage, what is really rare is a COMPLETE trunk. You have just the trunk, what you are missing is the fitted luggage that would have been inside the trunk. All of these early trunks were used for holding your luggage when traveling. From what I can see of the pictures of your trunk it has the dividers on the either side of the inside of the trunk. It was on these dividers that the different pieces of the fitted luggage would have rested on. Very few cars of this era came with a factor trunk. The trunks were an aftermarket accessories purchased from a variety of automobile parts suppliers like Western Auto. This trunk could go on any mid 20's to early 30's car with a trunk rack that would fit this size trunk.

Oh, and what is even rarer than a early trunk with a complete set of luggage is an early "picnic trunk" (same size as your luggage trunk) with a complete set of dishes, utensiles and food storage containers. Now that is rare.

thanks for the info on the trunks! i restore and collect the steamer trunks 1850-1900. ive never seen a trunk like this one so i bought it. im pleased to know more about these so if i see another in the future i wont buy it unless its complete.ill put this one on ebay maybe i can get my 10.00 back outta it. if not it well guess its fire wood lol. thanks for the replys!!