Rare 40 Lincoln Continental Convertible For Sale

40linc

Hello to all,

I am beginning the process of finding a new home for my grandfathers fully restored 1940 Lincoln Cabriolet Convertible. He passed away several years ago and since his passing, the vehicle has only been taken out a couple of times a year for car shows and parades. It is an incredible vehicle with a room full of best of show trophies to back it up. The car was born April 29, 1940 and shipped through the Kansas City wholesale branch. A history check done on the vehicle by the LCOC found this to have been a very unique car, originally coming from the factory with a ?non-standard? paint job (one of only two). A cross reference of the body numbers, 06H56-286, with the ?Encyclopedia of American Cars? shows me that this Continental Convertible Coupe was one of only 54 built.

When the car went through a complete frame off restoration in the early 90?s it was repainted a ?standard color?. I would say that the vehicle is 95% correct. Again the color is not the original ?non-standard? paint job, the seats although beautiful are not the correct leather pattern, the back window is not the original small window, and I don?t think that the dual exhaust (by kepich exhaust) are original either. As I see it, the most important thing about this rare 40 Linc, aside from its obvious beauty and excellent ?turn-key? condition, is that it is all there; the right parts, pieces, trim, etc?

We are certainly not looking to get rich off of this vehicle however we do want fair money for it. If you would like any more information or additional pictures please let me know. I would love any feedback you may have. I will also entertain serious offers. Thanks for your time, sorry for rambling on. The vehicle can be seen on the attached web site by going to the Last Fling Til Spring 2005 photo gallery, Page 7, and it is the last car on the page.

Sincerely,

Chris Butler www.roadgems.com

Chris,

You need to read the "Encyclopedia" a little bit more carefully: They built 54 "COUPES." Production of the Cabriolet, like yours, was 350. That is not a bad thing for you, though, as the Cabriolets are worth more. Note the "56" in the serial number indicates Cabriolet. If it were a coupe, it would be "57."

That is one gorgeous car. I am interested in knowing the original color???

Thanks for the great information. Again, I knew that this was where the experts could be found. The car was originally a Cigarette Creme body with Beetle Green fenders. I would need to check my history letter but I think the continental spare was also Bettle Green. The factory order also specified that the owners name was to be scripted somewhere on the door. One month later, in May of 1940, there was one other Cigarette Creme / Beetle Green Continental delivered, also out of Kansas City, however that one was ordered with only initials, rather than the whole name on the door. The history letter thought that they may have been Ford/Lincoln company executives that ordered the vehicles.

Thanks for the interest I have attached another photo.

Chris

I have had many questions regarding the vehicle's price. Setting a realistic price, that is also fair to the buyer, has been very difficult. My target, at this time,(or the buy it now price for any e-bayers) is $60,000. However, all reasonable offers will be considered. I tried to get a feel for other cars out on the market and then went with the Manheimgold price right between Excellent and Show. I am sure that the feedback I recieve will help me better determine the true market value for this vehicle. Constructive feedback is certainly appreciated. The vehicle will be advertised locally in the next couple of weeks. E-bay is also an option, but one I would rather avoid.

Thanks for your interest

Chris Butler

Thanks again for the comment on the production numbers. I went back and checked the information that I had regarding those numbers. The numbers that I had came from the web site www.autogallery.org.ru/linz1940 . They stated that the data came from the "Encyclopedia of American Cars", Pucblications International, Ltd. 1993, USA. On this page they showed 56 as the Continental Convertible Coupe, 3740 Pounds, 2916 US Dollars, 54 Built. They may have there numbers mixed up as they show 57 Continental Club Coupe, with a production number of 350 built.

Lesson Learned; Don't take everything you read on the internet as Gospel!

I guess we can agree that either way, there were not many of them out there.

Chris

That wouldn't be the first time incorrect figures were put in a car book. In fact, there is long-standing confusion about the number of '41 club coupes made. I regularly read people saying that says there were only 300 or so (I forget the exact figure) made. In fact, there were over a 1000 made, if I remember correctly. But once a "fact" like thtat gets out, it gets perpetuated.

In any case, I was intrigued about your car's custom colors and wondered why someone would have gone back to a standard color -- UNTIL I read what those custom colors were! Good grief!

That is indeed a beautiful 1940 Continental. It has become a pet peeve of mine that the production numbers for our cars are so blatantly mis-represented, a quick glance at the 2005 LZOC membership booklet reveals that right now in the club there are 75 1940 Continental cabriolets, and only 11 coupes, this is 65 years after the cars first were offered, and we know that the LCOC would have even more. I think people say there was limited production to enhance the value of these cars, and buyers should be aware that there were a lot more Lincolns made, and most of them are gone to Japan as scrap metal to make Isuzu's etc, not really important, just venting, Rolf