Correct Heaters?

Mike Cullen

My '36 has had the heater hot air box/ heat exchanger removed at some point during it's life. I've been watching for another similar car to inspect so as to possibly fabricate a passable replacement. (defroster air diffuser is in place) One main question, were SouthWind heaters sometimes dealer installed in the pre-war cars? and would installing one affect the judging of an otherwise pretty much correct car? I really don't think that I'd actually connect the gas feed for safety reasons and also, living in South Florida eliminates the need for heat anyway.

In the strictest sense, the Southwind heater would not be considered a stock item, but I'm not sure how LZOC would judge it.

The detailed pictures I have are of a late '37 / '38 system with front-exit exhaust manifold. The '36 / early '37 heat exchange unit would certainly be different. The only pics of the '36 / early '37 system I have are in the link below, and only from the top (not much help):

http://www.mindspring.com/~bozarth/id4.html

I have no idea where you'd pick up a '36 exchange unit, or where you could find detailed pictures of it, though Roy Thorson might have some. Email me and I'll give you his email address. Also, you might check with Merv Adkins or George Tricket (both under "Sources")