Help Identify 2 vehicles

Jay Wolf

Good call on the truck, I'd have to go a little earlier on the truck maybe a 1927 due to the shape of the lovers and the lack of the word Kenworth above the louvers,. but the headlights look 28 or newer.

That is my father on the scooter.

A few newer Wolf Coal and Supply trucks are at

http://beaver.vinu.edu/oldphotos/index.html

The old Packard is my Grandfather and my older sister (judy&packard)

In the race car Photo that is my Dad with his back to the camera talking to

his driver Fred Horner. As my Father said we may not have won that night but at least we got "Rollover Money" to pay for gas. I think the race car is a 1937 Packard 120.

Guest De Soto Frank

Boy, this is challenging...

I 'm sticking to my first guesses that this is either a Graham Bros. or a GMC. I think it's between a '26 and '29- '30 model, because of the "French" style roof visor - this was replaced by the so-called "cadet" visor on most American vehicles for the '29-'31 seasons.

Kenworths of this period have horizontal hood louvres, and the radiator shell sweeps-up at the center, similiar to White trucks of the same period.

Both Kenworth and General Motors Trucks have horizontal nameplates on the hood sides, between the hinge and the louvres...it's really hard to tell if there's a name plate or not from the photo. Graham Bros. do not.

One additional clue that makes me think Graham Bros. is the "quarter window" in the rear pillar of the cab (behind the door); this is visible on the passenger-side of the photo-truck.

Another point of confusion for me are the wheels...a lot of Graham trucks of this period have six-spoke cast-steel wheels...this truck seems to have wooden wheels...

All three trucks (GB, GMC, KW ) had a round badge in the center of the upper radiator shell...

Any more pics of the family fleet ?

oldford,

The picture on p.200 is of a Graham Bros. radiator with attached shutters, with the extensions top and bottom for the shutter frame attachment. The regular radiator (seen on the same page) is flat faced. (The best picture of this radiator I've found is on p.45 of Don Bunn's Crestline Series book <span style="font-style: italic">Dodge Trucks</span>. It's of a 1929 Dodge p/u, which at that time was a rebadged Graham Bros. product.)

While the truck in Jay's picture may have shutters, there clearly is no matching extension/boss for a bottom attachment as seen just behind the license plate on the p.200 illustration and more clearly on the bottom of p.199. (It helps to use the high resolution scan and expand the image after loading.) Also the headlights are mounted lower than any of the Graham truck illustrations.

The pattern in the radiator shell in the photo looks to be decorative to me, or at least formed into it as opposed to attached like the Graham. It's also much thinner all-around than the Graham shutter frame. In particular look how the extension at the top flows overtop of the shell into the Motometer instead of terminating in the flat area before it, like the Graham. The '32-'34 Kenworths on p.257 of the same book (<span style="font-style: italic">American Truck & Bus Spotter's Guide 1920-1985</span>) have this same radiator shell (best seen on the fire truck), but do not have the older style horizontal hood louvers Frank mentions. (The hood louvers, B-pillar window, cowl and fender tips admittedly do resemble the Graham closely, which may be coincidental.) Finally the tops of the headlights are well below the top line of the radiator opening, much lower than the Graham position. I'm reasonably sure this is a Kenworth.

1933_kw_trucks.jpg

It's a 1937-41 Cushman Scooter built in Lincoln Neb. It's impossible to identify the exact year from the photo since it depends on a motor # & a minor shape difference of the leading edge of the front fender which is not viewable from the picture angle. (Earlier models had a straight front edge & side panels and later - circa 1940-41 models had a curved leading front fender edge and curved side panels). We have a '37 Cushman in our collection, among others. Sorry for the delay in this posting but we were otherwise indisposed at a couple of small "local" car swap meets and shows in central Penna. and have just dried ourselves out this (Mon.) afternoon! By the way, the Cushman factory buildings still exist (for the most part I believe) and are part of a complex owned by Bill Smith smile.gifof Speedway Motors of Lincoln Neb. (also a Hershey attendee), one of the largest speed & hot rod parts (and fledgling automobile ie a complete '32 deuce roadster) manufacturers. The deuce roadster is largely produced overseas however I believe smile.gif

Guest De Soto Frank

Jay's photo is just a bit too fuzzy for me to be any more certain than I already am...

It looks like it could be KW; but KW, GB, and GMC all looked really similar...

I think it's earlier than the '30's...those are mid to late 1920's artillery wheels on Jay's truck...

Another reason I think it's pre-1930 is the windshield: it's a two-piece with the upper section able to swing-out...by 1928-29 most (if not all truck makers) had gone to one-piece windshields with a full metal frame. Also, note the "French" styloe roof overhang ("visor"), this was another styling fad that had faded by 1928-'29.

Dave, you present a convincing case for KW, but I'm still not entirely convinced wink.gif...wish we had better/more pics; the American Truckspotter's Guide is kind of limited in its pics...

I will look through some of my old issues (late'30's- early-'40s) of Fleet Owners' Monthly and see if I find a match.

Frank McMullen