Henry Ford Museum

greenie

Ok. So my employer is "making me" attend a symposium in Cleveland right after Hershey. I'll pack up my vendor spaces on Saturday afternoon, drive home to MD, and leave the next day (Sunday) for Ohio. My wife has agreed to ride along, so I feel obligated to entertain her (what a guy). The idea is to take a day and drive to Detroit to see the Henry Ford Museum, etc. Any ideas on what to see or expect; and any suggestions? Thanks.

Why go that far? What's wrong with staying in Cleveland? It's not purgatory you know. Cleveland has a lot to offer in the automotive realm. The best auto museum in the Cleveland area is the Canton Classic Car Museum. It's a family run museum, and presents all sorts of cars from the teens thru the 70's. It's about an hour south of Cleveland, do a google search & you'll find it. A second museum is the Crawford Auto Aviation Museum about 5 miles east of downtown Cleveland. It too has a good collection, but not what it used to be because different cureators over the years have sold off many cars. Don't waste your money of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, it's a rip off. The only reason I went once was because I vgot free tickets.

Guest imported_Packards1

The Henry Ford Museum is well worth the trip. You will need the day to look at everything. The Automotive Hall of Fame is next door to the museum also.

The Gilmore is a nice museum but you can see it all in 2 hours.

I'd suggest Greenfield Village with The Henry Ford Museum as a rain back-up. If you are a serious Ford buff you could spend all day at the Benson Ford Research Library on the grounds of The Henry Ford. If you have some real time check out the Detroit Institute of Arts. One of the best in the world. Lots of automotive history in that building. Detroit also has the National Automotive Historic Collection. It has just about every car magazine ever printed.

If you visit Detroit watch out for orange barrels and spirited driving.

Continental Collection