Distributor Problems-Need Help

Guest friscozephyr

Guest friscozephyr

Recently my 39 LZ was running very poorly (major loss of power, backfires, eratic idling,etc. After reading several threads on this forum regarding LZ distributor problems I decided to change the distributor. A local LZ owner sold me a good used (but not rebuilt) distributor. I put in the new distributor but kept the original coil and condensors. It made a dramatic improvement but I could tell it was not running optimally. I also installed a rebuilt LZ carb. (the old one was for a Ford V8), installed an all new exhaust system (the old one was a rusted mess)and a new fuel pump. Despite all this the car was still a little sluggish and I could barely get it to go over 60 MPH.

So I decided to get a rebuilt distributor. I installed the new distrubutor over labor day weekend. I also installed all new spark plug wires, a new ignition harness and new ignition resistors and new condensors but used the same old coil and terminal plates.

I started the car and it sounded like a couple of cylinders were missing. The engine also bakcfired a little bit. However, the engine ran better once it wamed up a bit. I checked the spark and all cylinders were getting good spark with the exception of a couple of cylinders which were getting a little weaker spark. I road tested the car and got a little more backfire. The engine also killed almost everytime I came to a stop. In addition, the engine ran a little eratic at higher RPMs (mainly first and second gear). Overall the engine is running very inconsistently.

Can anyone give me any clues of what I could have done wrong and what else I can check ? It seems like the coil is OK since there is good spark while idling. Any advice would be greatly appeciated. Thanks !!!!

Dear Frisco,SOUNDS like you have a couple ignition wires crossed i am assuming you triple checked to make sure the ign. wires are installed correctly in the caps.Ford and Lincoln coils are FAMOUS for breaking down when they warm up,check the spark once the car is warm.Ignition condensors are also known to be a problem when warm.Thats a start,PLEASE keep us posted.I would consider getting your distributor set-up by someone in the know.diz smile.gif

Guest friscozephyr

Diz,

Thanks for the advice. I did "double check" some of the ignition wires but I did not "triple check" all of the wires. I triple check them tonight and report back. I am in the process of getting a new (rebuilt) coil and maybe another "new" set of condensors. I will also be sending my orginal distributor and coil to Jake Flemming for a complete inspection and rebuild. The new "rebuilt" distributor that I just installed did not come from Jake Flemming. I will update you with my progess. Thanks again.

I had problems like you mentioned and had Jake rebuild my dist after I had it set up on my old allen machine, he found nothing wrong but did say some of these dist will change the dwell when installed and that was the case with mine, when installed it would change almost 15 degrees, I spent 2 days with it mounted on the engine with a dwell meter to get it set perfect, after that and finding a bad coil resistor the car runs great and has lots of power. If you attemt this yourself have allot of patience and a good dwell meter and if you can find one, a four sided screwdriver(it has 4 flat tips all at different angles and all at 90 degrees). Good Luck

Guest friscozephyr

UPDATE !!!! It turned out that I did cross two of the wires. Just to be safe I checked every wire. What a big difference. Engine ran smooth and quiet. I took it for a road test and it accelerated well (no coughing, backfires, etc). After a quick road test I returned to the garage and adjusted the carb. idling. I took the car for another road test (engine was now at operating temperature) and the engine was slightly sluggish when accelerating in first gear (high RPM). It seemed fine accelerating in 2nd gear. In third gear when I was coasting I could feel a slight sluggishness in the engine. However, when I took the car our of gear the sluggishness did not happen.

I suspect that at operating temp. the coil starts acting up. Therefore I am going to proceed and replace it. I also noticed that a few of the terminals on the terminal plates have some grooves from being worn down. I may repalce the terminal plates and see if this improves engine performance. I think I am on the right track. Thanks for all the great advice. Feel free to keep sending advice. I keep everyone posted on my continued progress.