1960 Electra 225 Convertible R&R

Smartin

You will probably have to call around and find someone local that has been doing it for years, and has experience in the dynaflow transmission. The DF was recently done in the 62 you see pictured above...and we called all over the place and finally settled on someone who actually knew was a dynaflow was. smirk.gif

• 1 month later...

Aw crap, not this thread again!! grin.gif

Getting the 60 back this weekend to finish up some loose ends that popped up after the car went back home. The steering still has a vibration, and I am pretty sure I know what it is. The choke is acting up again tongue.gif . The blower door is not opening to blow air through the ducts...should be an interesting deal to figure out. And the drivers side door does not want to shut....at all. After it left the top shop, it's been goobered up since then.

Last weekend, I spent my Sunday dropping the oil pan due to an oil starvation up top. There was a 1/2" of sludge in the bottom of the pan!!! YUCK! I'm glad we caught that before Rochester. The project was actually fairly easy. The frame has holes in the crossmember for access to the oil pan bolts, and I had to remove the idler arm from the frame to drop the center link enough to get the pan to come out....that, and jack up the engine 2 inches. Total project time: 5 hours

Not a great way to spend a Sunday, but it made me feel better about driving it now.

Hey Adam

Might I ask what you used to clean up/degrease the engine and prepare for painting? And what equipment did you use to paint the engine and compartment, or just use the spray cans? I'm sorta following your lead here with a similar effort on a 55, and your results are impressive. I'm hoping for a fraction of the success you got as this is my first time getting into this. I've had the car for 20 years and always kept it well maintained and cleaned up, never went about "refreshing" it.

thanks in advance

I used a combo of cleaners and solvents to get the various parts ready for paint. Most of the stuff in the engine compartment went all the way down to bare metal, and cleaned with a VERY heavy duty degreaser. It is actually a silk screen cleaner used for cleaning in print shops. The closest thing that I can find that does a good job, is Acetone.

Everything in the engine compartment was done with spray cans, either from CARS, or the local shop. There's no need for specialty mix paint here. The firewall was done with a one-stage paint I had mixed special. I imagine you could probably get away with cleaning the firewall up well and getting the current paint to look good....although I have no idea what yours looks like. The only reason I painted this firewall, was because it was starting to rust at the heater core, and near the brake booster.

I hope to be doing this whole treatment to my 71 LeSabre as soon as I can boot this car out of the garage grin.gif I would like to have it ready by July.

• 3 weeks later...

I gave up on the power steering vibration. I located a good used hose that has the correct "coupler/restrictor" thing in-line, and it did not fix the vibration. It's not a big issue, so I will let it go with the car. The door is fixed, along with most of the other things on the list.

The funding for this project has come to a sudden end, and I'm not sure where this car will end up. I don't see Rochester in its future, unless someone special finds the car a good home. I hope that my hard work on it will be appreciated...it has become an important part of me.

More to come later..

I guess one good thing I can see is that I'll be able to get to work on my LeSabre for Rochester, and I'll be able to take on more work for others as soon as I have the majority of the work done on my car.

I gotta make some money to feed the hobby cool.gif Hank wanted to see me shoot for a future career doing this, too. I can't disagree with him!

• 1 year later...