To Our Fellow Hobbyists in the South

Steve Moskowitz

Our President, Dave Zimmerman and many of our board members are on a national tour right now so I am posting on his behalf. I know Dave would want to do this himself.

We at AACA wish everyone affected by the hurricane a speedy recovery from the physical and mental damage caused by this horrific storm. The devastation takes all of our breadths away and you can only image what those folks must be going through. We have a lot of active hobbyists in the Gulf Coast both at national meets and tours.

All of our hobby needs to start thinking about what we can do to help our "brothers and sisters" with their special needs as the weeks ahead approach. We imagine the damage to cars, loss of parts and memorabilia will be extensive. Hopefully, we can unify and help some of these people out. This forum has shown in the past that it can provide service to others and be there in time of need. We hope once again the true nature of our fellow car lovers will shine again.

Well put Steve. We sometimes don't realize how lucky we really are.

The small Amphicar community had an interesting post regarding this devastation and a members thoughts on helping out.

Quote; "To all our members down south you are in our thoughts and prayers it is almost as if they need amphicars in New Orleans for search and rescue as they go from water to land all over the place."

"Just a thought amphipoda why don't you get a hold of someone and see if they need us."

I see the flooded neighborhoods and think about how an Amphicar would be perfect rescue vehicle. Small enough to get into tight quarters where the military amphibious vehicles can't. If I were closer or better off financially, I would take my car and go see what we could do.

At the least, our thougts and prayers are with all those affected. May they all recover quickly and with pride.

We have had members rescue folks during floods. Dave in the UK used his a few years back for rescue ops there.

amphir1.gif

These deparate people, one million souls in distress, need immediate shelter, food, cash and supplies, not some one showing off their collector car.

~I see the flooded neighborhoods and think about how an Amphicar would be perfect rescue vehicle. Small enough to get into tight quarters where the military amphibious vehicles can't. If I were closer or better off financially, I would take my car and go see what we could do.~

M Herd,

Obviously you have never met John from Colorado. He is very caring and sincere in his comments and thoughts. You should find out more about a person before you down-play what his thoughts are. I for one appreciate his concern about the unfortunate folks in that terrible situation.

Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These deparate people, one million souls in distress, need immediate shelter, food, cash and supplies, not some one showing off their collector car. </div></div>

I am sorry you feel that I am so vain that I would endanger myself and my car to "show it off". confused.gifshocked.gif FYI, I have friends that live in New Orleans (Destrehan, Port Sulphur and Sunset La. to be exact) that I have yet to hear from. If I could get there I would be there in a heartbeat to help the rescue efforts. You also should know that my Amphicar and I are both on call with the Sherif's dept and local police as well, 24/7 to assist in any rescues needed locally.

I have given many hundreds of rides to folks at retirement homes, children and anyone who asks (yes, a few who didn't ask too). Your post offends me that you think you can accuse me of such things without any forethought. You sir should sit back and just watch the forums and get to know people before you decide to disrespect anyone. dissapointed.gif So far in 3 posts, you have complained about Kruise auctions twice and the comments previous here. Your social contribution here speaks for itself.blahblahblah.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I agree with D Binger, you know nothing about John so until you have been here longer and know him like we do, you should not make such rude comments. And then when you do know him, rude comments will not be needed.</div></div>

Thanks to Dan and Shop Rat for gettin' my back! I would have said the same about you both. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

John,

Friends don't let friends get bashed.

I hope that your friends turn out to be okay. My mom and dad have lost two camper trailers in Fla. to hurricanes. They could have lost their lives. My brother helped save a man's life during one of them. We did not hear from them for days. It was very scary.

Your friend,

Shop Rat

Folks,

Let's keep peace on this subject...

M Herd is obviously a "new member" making a post that upset others. As M Herd has nothing within his profile, none of us really knows where he/she is coming from. Possibly someone in desperation, possibly a person with no respect to others, possibly he/she simply took John's post the wrong way. (I certainly have no qualifications to be the judge.)

To M Herd:

Not knowing who you are, or, where you are coming from as there is nothing within your profile, your post was taken in the wrong way by me, and, the people who are upset with your response to John.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt and only my opinion:

John, Dan, Skyking, myself, and, numerous forum members who have read your post have disagreed here over the years, have agreed over the years.

Some of us, a few of us, many of us have met eachother in-person, or, chemistry has developed friendship over the years within this cyberspace media.

Being a tolerant person, you came on here, possibly out of emotions/attachment to someone in the Gulf Area. None of us on the AACA Forum know where you are coming from...

One thing is guaranteed: Your reply to John is not right. Totally offensive. He is one of the most sincere, well intentioned people we have on this Forum. John has always gone the extra yard to educate and demonstrate "true grit", again, in my opinion.

If this is not satisfactory, or, you disagree contact me: pjheizmann@aol.com.

We welcome new members, M Herd. Just be more tactful in a time that our Country has another major concern. If it was your emotions, well, share them. We all mean well on this Forum, we all come across in the wrong way at times.

Peter J.

Guest imported_PackardV8

M_HERD wrote:

"These deparate people, one million souls in distress, need immediate shelter, food, cash and supplies, not some one showing off their collector car."

Have u never ever heard of "dual tasking" ???? If help is provided then what does it matter if there is a little showing off too??? Some of us believe that our collections are to be USED wheather for fun, profit, charity or anything else.

To everyone else: Perhaps M_HERD is probably upset or perhaps even directly effected by Catrina. At this point some idifference towards his post is probably best advised.

And NO, i am not a charitable person. Bless those who are and if they enjoy their car or boat or anyother personal item while helping then more power to them. ESPECIALY when helping fellow Americans, here at home, during such a drastic time.

PS to M_HERD: Yo, noone in this forum likes my attituded either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Let's keep peace on this subject... </div></div>

I agree, I hope M. Herd was just misunderstood and will soon expound on his comments, preferable via PM to ensure this thread is focused on the real victims in and around 'Nawlins'.

Thanks for the kind words from everyone. Where do I mail the checks? wink.gif

John Bevins

To AB: I felt you trivialized this disaster with your photos. Vain was your word. Good choice!

To Hissy Buds: Thanks for letting me control your emotions.

Am I desperate? No. But sounds like some of you need a life. I've lurked a long time and marvel at your knowlege.

#What we need is more motor and less mouth

Mr. Herd, I made this post out of concern for our fellow citizens and to hopefully pull all of us in a common goal to help those unfortunate souls affected by the disaster. You chose to speak out against someone you did not know nor understand. I guess that is your right but it was uncalled for. Several people tried to be concilliatory with you and you went on the attack again. I have had the pleasure of meeting John and have read his posts for a long time. Does he love his Amphicars...absolutely, like I love my Oldsmobiles. However, everyone else took his post as an offer for help with his unique vehicle. Now is not the time to be petty and attacking each other, it is a time for us to pull together and be of service to our country.

This M Herd sounds exactly like a problem character often found in the Packard forum: Peter Hartmann. Hartman has a whole bunch of aliases, and his only M.O. is to ruffle your feathers. It doesn't matter what you tell him... it doesn't matter how sincere you are in your responses, he will counter with something totally off base. The ABSOLUTE BEST way to handle him, or anyone who acts the same way, i.e. M Herd, is to ignore his posts by NOT POSTING ANY RESPONSES WHATSOEVER!!

Shop Rat, and others, it's hard not to cover each other's back when someone like this enters the forum, but I guarantee you, if you just stay "on subject" with what the post is about and make ZERO responses to [M Herds and Peter Hartmanns], you will stay on the high road.

Someone once said, "the problem with getting into the mud and fighting with pigs is that you BOTH get dirty... However, the PIG likes it."

Keep that in mind and keep your cool.

Since I brought up the Amphicar clubs post with their initial concerns and comments regarding this unfortunate disaster, I feel I must reply to your apparent slamming of a fellow member and friend.

If New Orleans needed the help of our club and would call I can guarantee you there would be plenty of our members that would respond on a moments notice. Traveling at their own expense with no concern of the damage that their vehicles would occur. Just imagine how helpful it might be if 200 of these vehicles showed up to help rescue the many still stranded that are running out of food and water. You can't drive a boat over a street and back into the water.

Back to the real concern, hopefully things start getting better down there. 21 M raised to date.

West, I agree we need to ignore these hard noses like M Herd and focus on what really matters here. And John, I commend you for your post and completely understand your true intentions.

God bless all of those who are suffering from this terrible ordeal. I hope our fellow AACA members know they are in our prayers and that we will wait to hear what it is we can do to assist our friends.

Rick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">#What we need is more motor and less mouth </div></div>

i·ro·ny ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-n, r-)

n. pl. i·ro·nies

The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.

An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.

A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect. See Synonyms at wit1.

Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: ?Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated? (Richard Kain).

An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.

Dramatic irony.

Socratic irony.

blahblahblah.gifjerk.gifloser.gif

These forums are about opinions and facts, however my experience has been that one will find more of the former than the latter. I understood that members are always welcome to post anything within the bounds of good taste.

It is apparent though that if an opinion is expressed, the poster may well be the target of immature name calling and labels, for example, you repeatedly called my post an attack and the unfortunate example of the esteemed gentleman West Peterson projecting his insecurites on me, calling me a BOFF, a known vulgar slang term related to sexual intercourse. An editor is threatened by a little controversy? For shame.

AB, I do not know you so how could I personally disparage you? I merely shared an opinon/observation based on the grim reality of the situation and recalling some of my personal firsthand life experiences. By the way I have attended the AACA Fall Meet at Hershey for almost forty years straight, with time out for Uncle Sam, so I have been around.

The reality is that we have a small group of people here who bristle and caterwaul for tolerance and understanding but will not extend the same courtesy to others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John, is there a post before yours??????????? My PC is showing a blank space above yours. confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

I better have my computer checked out. </div></div>

Yea, mine too? Humf? Must be of so little merit that my PC won't take the time to display it. shocked.gif What will they think of next? cool.gif Kinda weird...

John "Can You Hear Me Now?" Bevins

John,

I got a call from my reserve unit on Wednesday. Right now they're looking for guys to go down there for a month to help get things cleaned up. With my lack of vacation time, I can't get away on my own, but if no one from my unit volunteers, I may find myself getting deployed on the good side of the pond. I'll keep you posted as I hear more.

98th~ From the sounds of things lately, 'things' do need some cleaning up. Watch your back and your buddy's back.

Best wishes to all the good people who are suffering down there, I hope help and comfort is delivered to them quickly.

Note the responses are different from NYC to NOLA; New Yorkers were cooperative, peaceful, pulled together in a time of common crisis.

Herd is not Hartmann, much too erudite, lacks the usual stupid phrases.

Very true, things do need cleaning up. But before you start cleaning, you've got to have organization. Right now I'm sure that the Army Corps of Engineers, FEMA, Red Cross, etc. are probably in the organization stage and trying to decide where to start and what they'll need. If you get a bunch of people just going down there and doing things, it may be counterproductive to the intended result, which could delay the operation and add more stress and confusion to a problem that is already bad enough. That was a problem that happened at Ground Zero after 9/11.

At this point, if I'm told that I've got to go, I'll put on the rucksack and start marching. But there's no way I myself, would do anything on my own until they get a plan of how they're going to address the issues. Once they powers to be get a plan, they'll start asking for things upon need.

This whole thing makes me mad, Here it is 4 days after the fact and you have people dying in shelters and on the street.

Hello FEMA, you knew this was coming, you practiced for this last year, you supposedly prepositioned supplies and personel close by.

I heard the lying sack that you call a director, on the news last night saying that he had not heard of any problems at the convention center.. what news had he been watching ? Every TV station has shown the deplorable conditions from there. Not to mention he called the reporter on the phone "mis informed"

Really makes me glad that FEMA (which used to do a great job under the old regime) has been rolled into the department of Homeland security.

Sorry had to vent....

To any of you who get called up or go down there, God Bless you all....

I watched CNN last night and I have wondered the same thing. They knew this storm was coming and had a very good idea the areas it would hit. Why did they not have supplies staged somewhere that could be taken right away?

There are people who survived without so much as a scratch and they are dying for lack of drinking water. The most heartbreaking to me is the mothers and fathers that saved their babies and kids and have had to hold them as they died from dehydration.

please remember that all the victims of this storm, were advised

very early about the approaching situation..some could not leave, some choose not to leave..but all were advised..including my grown son, his family and extended family..he returned to us here in sc late last friday, 6 of them in all plus pets--his collector car (1980 volare) was left behind and his modest home destroyed in the water, and probably by now looted.

I was visiting him three weeks ago in NO and really enjoyed the town, the people seemed to be very nice and friendly..a great trip.

Imagine what people all over the world now think of the USA..when they see the

situation growing worse...especially the crime situation.

I'm will be putting two of my very nice later model collector cars on Ebay..with any profit going to the Red Cross, hopefully they will be sold-before sunday.

jim keenan bca # 451

easley s carolina

83 chrysler town and country

89 buick electra estate

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">please remember that all the victims of this storm, were advised

very early about the approaching situation..some could not leave, some choose not to leave..but all were advised..</div></div>

Very true, I feel most for those who did not have the means to leave. Sadly, lots of them will be found trapped and dead. The looters (not for food and necessary supplies) are the ones who are making things the worst. I saw video of one guy pushing a cart in knee deep water with electronics on it. What is he going to do with it? Where would he even go with it? Just plain short-sighted and beyond belief.

shocked.gifshocked.gif

I noticed on CNN that there are few (Jesse Jackson Jr. of course) pulling the race card already. This will only serve to make the overall attitudes of any survivors even worse. I am soooo tired of this! The situation is clearly divided between the "haves" and "have nots". Poverty is rampant in the area (30% was a figure I heard) and it affects all races, not just one. Just happens that the majority of the population are African-Americans. Let's not make this another race issue, it's a Human Race issue. The situation is tough for all, from victims to rescuers. It knows no race or creed either.

This is not meant to offend, and it's sad that I have to clarify it anyway. frown.gif

John Bevins

What makes me the saddest is to see mothers and fathers holding babies and little kids that survived the storm and flooding. And they know that if water and food do not come very soon those kids will die in their parents arms.

And sadly there will be teenagers and adults who will grab all they can when the supplies show up and not care if anyone elses children die.

John-you hit the nail on the head with your comments about the "reverend"

JJ and his negative comments...I5 /20 years ago lot'sa people bought into that excuse but not today..it wont fly.. I was in NO two years ago, when my son first moved there...ruuff area he had to live in, shootings, etc..I went and got him out of there, and he settled in SC at a college in Conway..But the U of NO gave him the desired schollar ship in music ..so he went back in June..

He and his extened family, left before the storm hit..(thank god ) but as I mentioned before..they lost every thing other than what they could pack into a

escort sedan..Three weeks ago we all had a good weekend togather in NO..

good town --(as a visitor)..wonder what the rest of the world and the African American community thinks now..after watching all the broadcasts on TV and CNN..."looters"- shoot em..

now off the negatives for a bit..three weeks ago I spotted a nice 56 Buick 2 dr post sedan Blue /white (special?) near the new Walmart in New Orleans, near the warehouse districk--with a 4 sale sign on it ?? ring any bells ?

excuse my mispellings..only had 6 years of HS..Kids today are lucky they only have to go the HS 4 yrs. (lol)

JIM BCA # 451--41 century 2 dr..49 plymouth wagon-- high and dry in south carolina--Who's going to Charlotte ?..AACA meet--I will be at the BCA club spot.

As a National Director for the Central Division, I am very concern for the safety of all our members. I am staying in contact daily with members in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. I need to know if all are safe from the Slidell, Cresent City and St. Bernard chapters. I am positive we have members who has lost everything. Until everyone has been counted for, I ask each member to pray for their safety. After that we will know what we can do to help.