1973 ASC Customized Electra 4door

Guest Electramanrob

Guest Electramanrob

Here are pictures of my 1973 Buick Electra Limited 4door that was customized new by ASC Custom-Craft, Inc. I have researched the history of this car and can confirm that it was ordered new from the factory by Duke Buick in Augusta Georgia as a fully-loaded Limited that was then sent direcly from the factory to ASC Custom-Craft, Inc. in Detroit for over $10,000 worth of additional custom work before delivery new to the Georgia dealership. Research through the Sloan Museum confirms that the car was ordered by the dealership with the following equipment: Convenience center; am/fm 8-track; dual exhaust; steelbelted whitewalls; positive traction differential; automatic leveling control; heavy duty engine & trans cooling; automatic climate control; cornering lights; speed alert/trip odometer; fingertip windshield washer control; tinted glass; electric rear defogger; four note horn; heavy duty air cleaner; bumper guards; floor mats; 6-way power driver seat and passenger seat; power windows; front light monitors; maintenance free energizer; cruise control; tilt steering wheel; electric trunk release; electric door locks; low fuel indicator; lighted vanity mirror; deluxe wheel covers; body side molding; wide rocker moldings; and trunk trim carpeting. from the factory, the invoice was $6142.20.

I have verified with the dealer that ordered the car new that the car was shipped directly from the factory to ASC Custom-Craft, Inc. in Detroit where the car was then given the following custom touches: a 21-coat custom candy-apple red/burgandy paint job; a special extra thick landau top with small limo-style rear window; special landau bars with Buick emblems; a full chrome grill with special Buick hood ornament; special painted pinstriping; a totally customized interior with hand-made off-white crushed velour door panels and seats and bright red long shag carpeting; electric padded sunroof; a portable black and white TV built into the front dash; a larger color TV built into the back of the front seat; and a special custom window-mounted TV antenae.

This is the only 4-door 73 Electra known to have been made with 2 TVs or with an electric sunroof. The car cost over $17,000 new in 1973. Although ASC is known to have customized Cadillacs in the 1970s, there is no known history of any other Buicks so customized. According to the dealer in Georgia, 3 other Electras in 1973 received only one or 2 minor custom touches from ASC ("superfly" headlight covers or a special landau top) but this is the only one known to have been customized so extensively new. Anyone have any info about any other Buicks customized like this new????

This car currently is ALL original (including the paint and interior), the only exceptions being the exhaust (dual exhaust just replaced), tires, and belts/hoses. At present, the car has only 44K miles and runs like a top.

I would appreciate ANY info anyone has on custom work like this on other Buicks!!

4104pimp8-med.jpg4104pimp14-med.jpg4104pimp15-med.jpg4104pimp1-med.jpg4104pimp12-med.jpg4104pimp11-med.jpg4104pimp13-med.jpg4104pimp10-med.jpg4104pimp9-med.jpg4104pimp7-med.jpg410473electra3-med.jpg410473electra2-med.jpg4104pimpy_022-med.jpg4104pimpy_018-med.jpg4104pimpy_017-med.jpg4104pimpy_015-med.jpg4104pimpy_023-med.jpg4104April_3_2007_003-med.4104April_3_2007_003-med.jpg4104April_3_2007_001-med.jpg

Hi Rob,

This is a very interesting car! Was it ordered with these hubcaps? I thought they were first available in 1975 since I haven't seen an older car with these but I haven't seen everything so far!

About the convenience center, could you tell me if there is a deflector for the heater outlet when this option is installed? My 75 doesn't have this option but I bought one on Ebay some time ago and had the lock recoded so my key would open it. I installed it without the bracket just to see if I like it or not.

I think I like it but if there's a deflector missing, I might end buying another one before I install the bracket.

Here's what it looks like:

0001444l5te.jpg

Also, I did add another feature to my 75 that wasn't available back then on Buicks, do you see what it is on this picture?!

0001496l7nh.jpg

I used only spare parts to install it so I didn't damage the original ones in case I'd want to make it correct again! I have to say I lost some time doing that! crazy.gifgrin.gif

I lost your email adress but when I saw this car on the web, I thought about you and wanted to tell you about it:http://www.benjaminsingh.com/cadillacs/talisman/talisman.htm

It needs repairs and restoration and it's far from being in the condition your cars are but it's owner wants to sell it for what seems to be a reasonnable price. If I had more $$ to spend on cars, I'd be very interested in getting it! Like my 1975, it has the rare ACRS option.

Guest imported_Thriller

Very impressive. It would be neat if you can find out who / why it was ordered and customized like that. A highly unusual car and a true piece of history.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Research through the Sloan Museum confirms that the car was ordered by the dealership with the following equipment: Convenience center; am/fm 8-track; dual exhaust; steelbelted whitewalls; positive traction differential; automatic leveling control; heavy duty engine & trans cooling; automatic climate control; cornering lights; speed alert/trip odometer; fingertip windshield washer control; tinted glass; electric rear defogger; four note horn; heavy duty air cleaner; bumper guards; floor mats; 6-way power driver seat and passenger seat; power windows; front light monitors; maintenance free energizer; cruise control; tilt steering wheel; electric trunk release; electric door locks; low fuel indicator; lighted vanity mirror; deluxe wheel covers; body side molding; wide rocker moldings; and trunk trim carpeting. from the factory, the invoice was $6142.20.

</div></div>

Do you have similar information about the invoice amount for your 1975-76 Electras? The Sloan Museum sent me information for my 75 and the invoice amount was 6123.60. My car lacks some options, it doesn't have the 8 track player, the convenience center, the HD air cleaner, the large brushed aluminium exterior mouldings and leather interior (or Park Avenue package). It also has the standard wheelcovers and came without a vinyl top or tilt/telecsope steering but other than that, it had most options I can think of.

Also, did you order the domestic and export car report from the Sloan Museum for 1976 Limiteds?

Thanks

Guest my3buicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

About the convenience center, could you tell me if there is a deflector for the heater outlet when this option is installed? My 75 doesn't have this option but I bought one on Ebay some time ago and had the lock recoded so my key would open it. I installed it without the bracket just to see if I like it or not.

I think I like it but if there's a deflector missing, I might end buying another one before I install the bracket.

Here's what it looks like:

0001444l5te.jpg

</div></div>

See Attachment

Phil, none of the ones I have seen have had a deflector - we need to find an NOS one crazy.gif so we can see the mounting instructions - I have one in my Centurion.

Guest Electramanrob

I checked the back of the storage console and it appears that there is a black piece of plastic duct work that comes down behind the console and then splits into 2 pieces with one piece curving around each end of the console so that the air comeas out around the sides of the console along the floor. Hope this helps.

Guest Electramanrob

I did not order the build sheet info for my 76s because I actually have the invoices for them. I have not ordered the import/export report yet.

Guest Electramanrob

I don't know what the "heavy duty" aspect is - all I know is that was specified on the original build sheet - maybe its a special air filter inside?

Yes maybe you're right, maybe it was just the element itself. I've seen a few mesh-type elements that were placed just inside the standard element... Always wondered about that.

Several GM lines also offered "heavy-duty wheels". I remember seeing that on an Estate Wagon Buildsheet not too long ago. Would anyone be interested if I scanned it in? I believe the car was a '71 or '72 model. I remember it having a weird option combo.

My '76 Cutlass Supreme also has the heavy-duty wheel option according to the buildsheet. (That car was ordered with the plain, ugly stainless steel wheelcovers).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes maybe you're right, maybe it was just the element itself. I've seen a few mesh-type elements that were placed just inside the standard element... Always wondered about that.

Several GM lines also offered "heavy-duty wheels". I remember seeing that on an Estate Wagon Buildsheet not too long ago. Would anyone be interested if I scanned it in? I believe the car was a '71 or '72 model. I remember it having a weird option combo.

My '76 Cutlass Supreme also has the heavy-duty wheel option according to the buildsheet. (That car was ordered with the plain, ugly stainless steel wheelcovers). </div></div>

Heavy duty wheels also came when the Firm Ride package was ordered. I don't see any difference between those wheels (on my 75) and standard wheels that I had on my 74 LeSabre. Do you know how to tell an H.D. wheel from a standard wheel?

Guest Electramanrob

Philippe:

I don't recall seeing the "headlamps on" warning light before - is that the added feature? I would have guessed the air cushiom light but your car does have the air bag option.

The added feature is the Washer Fluid light, the "headlams on" light indicator and buzzer was an option but the low washer light wasn't. The "washer fluid" lens is already there in all the 75-76 instrument cluster but the option wasn't available on Buicks confused.gif. I took the low washer switch on a 76 Cadillac (it was standard on them) and modified the float to make it fit the Buick's washer reservoir which is deeper than the Cadillac's reservoir.

Guest Shaffer

Very interesting Philippe. I had been wondering what it was that you had added there. Strange that they put it there in the Buick, but never put it to use.

• 1 month later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I checked the back of the storage console and it appears that there is a black piece of plastic duct work that comes down behind the console and then splits into 2 pieces with one piece curving around each end of the console so that the air comeas out around the sides of the console along the floor. Hope this helps. </div></div>

Hi Rob,

I just got a deflector from a 75 Riviera and I'm wondering if yours has holes in it like mine has.

There are two larger holes on the passenger side and a small one on the driver side.

Look at the pictures...

00015436jy4xd.jpg

00015443rb3wf.jpg

00015452ch0tk.jpg

• 5 months later...
Guest Electramanrob

I have added pictures showing the car with its new, correct wire wheelcovers (as originally equipped). Again, any leads on any other ASC custom Electras would be appreciated!

Guest my3buicks

Interesting it came with the LeSabre/Centurion style wires rather than the Electra style wires. This has to be either the or one of the most unique Electra's out there. What a great piece to own.

Guest my3buicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith, it was also my impression that this particular style of wires was not used beyond 1972 and that the wire wheelcover style changed in 1973 for all of the upper series cars. </div></div>

Brian, my sources show the attached Wire used thru 70-73 on the Electra's (some 69's had them also)

post-30591-143137876766_thumb.jpg

Keith, thanks for the photo. Keith, I was really referring to the LeSabre/Centurion wheelcovers not being used beyond '72.

I have seen the Electra 225 style in your attachment only on the '70 - '72 Electra 225's -- never on a '73. I recall having seen a number of '73 225's, however, equipped with the same style wire wheel covers seen in these photos of '73 Centurions. Perhaps these were incorrect for the '73 225. Do you know the style I'm referring to? John Weber's '73 Centurion convertible wore this style, if that helps. If you have your sources readily at hand, I'd be interested in learning what years and models this style is shown to apply to:

http://www.buickcenturion.com/1973/gary_a/

http://www.buickcenturion.com/1973/green_gold_vert3/

Guest my3buicks

Brian, here is the other style that was used, the colored tri-shield ones I believe are for 72 & prior

post-30591-143137876767_thumb.jpg

Guest my3buicks

OK, this is a wierd one - the 75 Buick Master Parts Book shows the first Pictured wire in my attachement as what I posted(this is the wire with the larger center), BUT, it also shows the 2nd wire with the non-colored trishield as also being correct for 73 - I have seen both but never really paid any attention to it. With a special car like this Customized ASC Electra who knows, although the ones shown are not 73's.

Guest Electramanrob

Ok, you guys have me confused here. According to the sources I checked (see for example www.hubcaps.com/electra.html) the wires now on my car were correct for a 73 Electra. I spoke with the dealer who ordered the car new and he says these wires with the colored trishield are correct. (He removed them from the car after it was delivered because they kept getting stolen on the lot.) I have seen these on several other 73 Electras. The second version you guys pictured (the plain silver tri-shield center) definitely was used on 74-76 Electras (I actually have them on a couple of mine) but I could not find any reference to them being available on 73s. Could it have been a mid-year change? How can we know which ones are correct for sure?? Thanks!

Guest my3buicks

Rob, look close at the picture on the Hubcap website, also the first one that I attached - the Centers are much larger and flat against the wires versus small and sticking out like the ones you have on your car - The colored tri-shield is fine as it does appear that both types were availble in 73, the ones on your car are just not the right centers. They used the type on your 73 on prior years LeSabre & Centurion. But again, being your car was a special custom the dealer could have put the style that are on it upon delivery as they still would ahve been very plentiful in the parts department.

[EDIT NOTE: Keith and I were posting at the same time, and I agree with everything he has said.]

Electramanrob, let me try to eliminate some of the confusion, since we're talking about three different styles of Buick wheelcovers.

1) The style shown on your car above.

Both Keith and I believe that this style was not used beyond 1972, but is a correct option for the 1971 and 1972 LeSabre and Centurion.

If you look at this illustration borrowed from Smartin's Centurion website, you'll see this wheelcover on the upper right-hand corner.

wheel_options.jpg

There is no indication that this style was offered on Electra 225 cars, and, in fact, I have never seen this style on a 225.

2) The second style is shown in Keith's first attachment above, and also appears on the lower right-hand corner of the chart from Smartin's website. You'll note that it is shown strictly as an Electra 225 wheelcover. Here is a photo of this style on a 1972 Electra 225:

IM000506.jpg

As you can see, this style still carried a tri-shield logo, but used a larger, center hub. As I had commented above, I have seen this style only on '70 - '72 225's, but never on a '73. Keith's sources indicate, however, that this style was offered on the '73 Electra 225's, so I trust that this is the case. I was able to locate an Internet photo of a '73 225 wearing this style:

RCox3.jpg

3) The third style is the plain silver tri-shield center. This is the style that I recall seeing new on 1973 Electra 225's. Keith's source evidently indicates that this style is also correct for the '73 Electra 225, and this poor photo appears to show a '73 so-equipped:

15707Buick_Electra_Limited_73-01.jpg

Was this a mid-year change? I'm not sure we have any way of knowing. I have some further Buick source information at home, and will see what I can learn this week.

Electramanrob, I consulted my Buick Master Chassis Parts book dated November, 1973, which would, of course, have excellent coverage for the 1973 model Buicks.

If you refer to my post above where I referred to three, distinct style of wheelcovers, here is my understanding. It is unfortunate that the illustrations for the 1973 wheelcovers is quite poor in my book, and few of the parts numbers in the illustrations seem to tie directly to the parts number listing.

1) The style currently on your '73 Buick was evidently correct for the 1971 - 1973 period, but B-Body (LeSabre/Centurion/Estate Wagon) only. As noted above, I have never actually observed this style on a '73.

2) The style with the wide (approx. 6-inch) center hub was indeed offered for the 1973 Electra 225 (C-Body only). The same part number was used for the 1971 - 1973 model year range. Finding a set of these wheelcovers would probably be your safest bet to ensure that you have a C-Body wheelcover correct for 1973.

3) A third style -- the one with the silver centers -- is correct for all 1973 B and C-Body cars. This is the style which I have most frequently observed. Interestingly, though, this part number applies only to 1973, and the part number changed for 1974. I have no idea what the difference is between the '73 and '74 styles.

Philippe, there is no indication from the parts book that the 1974 - 1976 Electra 225 wheelcovers are correct for 1973.

• 1 year later...
Guest Electramanrob

Anyone have ANY information on any other Buicks ever customized new by ASC?? (Both original TVs are now working great on this one!) Anyone even seen one at any show or anywhere else? Aware of ANY in the BCA? I have seen several Cadillacs so equipped/customized but never an Electra. Any leads greatly appreciated!!

• 1 month later...
Guest Electramanrob

I just added a picture showing the picture on the working, original color TV (I will post a picture of the working black and white TV on the dash soon) and the open sunroof.