Power Antenna

Guest walt in ciniti

Guest imported_walt in ciniti

Today the power antenna died. I took it apart and found the cable that raises and lower the antenna had broken.

Question, should I replace the hole system or just the cable?

There is some wear and the armiture looks like it could be replaced.

I haven't checked with Buick to see if the have any or how much the are,I'm sure their not cheap.

Anyone have a system the can sell at reasonable cost?

Guest F14CRAZY

At reatta.net I read about that plastic cable you speak of breaking. It's still available from GM. Like $12 or something like that.

For the price of the replacement parts for the one you have you could probably get a whole other power antenna unit at a salvage yard. If you have a "you pull it" yard in your area, take yours with you and have them mark it as yours, and use it to compare units. Look in their Buick or GM product area of their yard.

I did this while trying to find a replacement mast at the local auto parts stores. I think they wanted about $18.00 for just the mast. I spent $25.00 for a complete salvage unit. Good luck.

Part # for the nylon cable is 22038195. Around $12-16. I bought a bunch of these cables, as it's a common failure. You can try the salvage yards, as these antennas are fairly similar in the GM line of the era. But you could get a bad one.

I think Barney rebuilds these to sell, if I'm not mistaken.

Aren't used ones a waste of time, since they all seem to break the same way anyway? (my parents had a roadmaster and a park avenue -- I believe both of them were broken, and needed to have the power disconnected cuz the motor kept running)

Sometimes they is and sometimes they isn't.

In the original post the Cincy Walt says: <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question, should I replace the hole system or just the cable?

There is some wear and the armiture looks like it could be replaced.

</div></div>

Sounds like maybe he may be leaning toward replacement of the whole thing. I don't know what type of budget or skill level he has. I'm just offering an alterntive. Maybe the unit from a car at the salvage yard doesn't have as many cycles on it. Maybe it was some old guys Buick and he hardly ever turned on the radio. Or maybe it comes from a car owned by some kid who never turns the radio off just so he can see the Kewel antenna go up and down. It's number of cycles not chronological age that determins failure rate.

Anyway... Yo lays yo money down and yo takes yo chances.

I gotta get off here. I gots some Darlin rollers to make.

The best advise here comes from Harry Yarnell in this thread,

contact Barney Eaton at barney@texas.net he does rebuild them. There

are many posts her about the junk on e-bay and salvage yard treasures. I guess

if you want to know how things work get one from you local you pull it yard and

take it apart, but if you want it to work the first time contact Barney.