Genuine GM Shock Insulating Fluid

DKY

I have been using jack oil in my shocks since 1959 and have never had any problems. It may be a different viscosity so the ride may be a little stiffer or softer but after 380,000 miles and 46 years who can remember.

As an aside and not to criticise the original poster or question. I have always wondered just what GM made. We tend to run down the old car makes that were "assembled" but after having worked for GM dealers for 15 years I really wonder. At one time if memory and history are right Ford was the only company that manufactured right from the raw materials to a complete car and this iI even doubt.

Thanks Guy's. In response to Tinindian's question:

"As an aside and not to criticise the original poster or question. I have always wondered just what GM made. We tend to run down the old car makes that were "assembled" but after having worked for GM dealers for 15 years I really wonder. At one time if memory and history are right Ford was the only company that manufactured right from the raw materials to a complete car and this iI even doubt."

I was just simply quoting my repair manual, I have no idea if GM actually made the fluid (I highly doubt it). I just would like an anternative fluid to use.

Guest 36chev

I'm using regular hydraulic fluid/jack oil in the Delco shocks for my 36 standard Chevrolet. They seem to be working fine--car steers and rides much better with the rebuilt and functioning shocks.

• 9 years later...

Hey guys, many thanks for this information. I just picked up a 41 Chevy Special Deluxe and I've been looking for information on servicing the shocks. I'm brand new here and I look forward to seeing more of you guys.