48 lincoln coupe, windshield wipers

danny48

Hello everyone, I am anew member well I have been trying to get registered for awhile.If anyone could give me some advice about wipers that would be great!

I THINK MY PROBLEM IS THE LINKAGE. I have good vacum my motor runs and seems to operate fine when I have the linkage unhooked. I havn't tried adjusting the small chains yet I wanted to ask someone who has experience befor I start experimenting. Also if anyone can give me a description of the linkage that may help, I have a small peice of metal about six inches long connected to the motor on one end and to a much longer peice on the other end that runs to the passenger side wiper. Thanks to anyone who can help me!

Dear Danny,Since you have disconnected the wiper motor from the linkages can you manually move the linkage back and forth in the directions they are supposed to move?I would loosen all connections on the linkage and use a GOOD penetrating oil on em all,work em back and forth,tighten everything up[NOT TOO TIGHT]and see what you got.Give the chains a look and maybe some light oil but i would NEVER take em apart shocked.gif.IMHO.diz smile.gif

Guest imported_V12Bill

Danny, you don't state whether you have a Zephyr or Continental coupe. Although they are different in appearance, they both work in the same manner. The big difference is in the switch that turns the motor off and on. The LC has a complicated system that leaks vacuum. The Zephyr switch is very simple and is not a problem maker. Unless you modify some brackets under the dash below the windshield you cannot use a Zephyr switch in the Continental. The only adjustment is on the tension on the chains in the wiper base. Loosen the nut and pull down on the arm that is attached to the chain. There should be no slack in the chain but the chain should be snug also. Check to see if the shaft that is in contact with the wiper arm has not worn the wiper base and is binding. If the motor is disconnected the linkage should work back and forth with minimal resistance.. Lube all the working joints.

Bill

Hello everyone, this is Danny, I would like to thank Dizzy Dale and V12 Bill for there help on my wiper questions,I will give it a shot as soon as it cools off, Its about 95 here in Ohio today. My car is a 48 club coupe Zypher I think.

Thanks again

Danny

• 1 month later...