e-mail blocking

rocketraider

I get PMs and e-mails from many of you about Olds-related stuff. I try to reply as quickly as I can or let you know why I can't, but some e-mail services have very aggressive spam filters. Even on "reply" emails that are a direct response to an e-mail <span style="font-weight: bold">you</span> sent <span style="font-weight: bold">me</span>.

I like spam filters and scrubbers as much as anyone since I despise spam and viruses, but here's the deal:

<span style="font-weight: bold">[color:"red"] If you want me to answer your questions, you better make sure your ISP doesn't block my reply e-mails. </span>

I realise that some of you may not even be aware of your blocking settings, but there is nothing more frustrating than taking the time (often considerable) to research an answer and reply, only to get an "Undeliverable Mail" message. Some are polite and businesslike, but others are downright insulting, like "You are not permitted to send this subscriber mail" (Verizon) or the one from an erols.com subscriber that basically said if my name was not on his e-mail whitelist to go to hell and leave him alone. That burnt me up, especially after he had the nerve to call me here at home asking why I hadn't answered his questions. Simple answer- I replied, your ISP blocked, no point in spending anymore time on it.

Not trying to be hateful or hard to get along with, but there's no point in me wasting time on a reply that will never get delivered.

GW

• 1 year later...

G'day from down under, I can relate to this as I have been trying to access the Toro list for nearly a year now and every attempt to "subscribe" has failed. I have paid a PC nerd to check out the settings on my pc and he says they are fine. I made contact with my ISP, they went through the system and said that none of their spam filters were blocking me. They did say that they thought the other ends ISP might have aggressive spam filters. I used to be able to access the TOA home page and now this too has become un accessable to me. I am a paid up member of TOA. I did receive an email from TOA a month back advising me of one of the members was sick, and on that same day I decided to click on the TOA home page and it came right up, but that was the only day I could access their site. does this sound strange, can anyone throw a light on this drama as trying to obtain info or parts way down here in Australia with a couple of 68 Toros is becoming a head ache cheers Frank.

• 10 months later...
Guest RoadkingHI

Not sure but I am getting all the emails from the Torolist but none are ever answered that I send so might be a blocking issue. Never had that problem with any other "list" type of emails.

It does seem they have more activity than this one does....

• 1 year later...

Another comment on email problems.

My DSL runs thru Verizon to Toad.net - my ISP.

Aperiodically Verizon screws with my DSL service (trying to force me into subscribing to their FiOS). When I call toad and they chew on the V people about it thew problwm goes away for awhile. But always comes back!!

And Ive had to switch to a secondary mailbox inorder to receive mail from a Yahoo Olds forum member, in Texas.

My wife works at a bookstore and there is a Co that -sent- EMS directly to her. NOTHING WE CAN DO GETS THE MSGS INTO OUR INBOX!!We have Whitelisted the site every which way from sunday even Toad techies cant get the spam flagging fixed!! We finally gave up.

I also have been fighting with another site from whom I DONT want ems and BLACKLISTING them does not stop them!!!!

I also cant stop the 'windows 1251 ccdes' (those cyrillic scam msgs from China and Russia!)

So not all problems may be the fault of the holder of the address (or his ISP). We seem to be censored by some big brother somewhere????

• 3 months later...