49 Olds standard transmission column shift issues

Guest sbn2263

Guest sbn2263

My 49 Olds project car has the manual 3 speed column shift. However, no amount of manipulating the shift lever will take the transmission to neutral. I finally pulled the steering wheel and it sure looks like there are some parts missing. The linkages at the bottom of the steering column to the transmission are intact, but they don't move when the shift lever is moved.

I have the both the Shop Manual and the Chassis Parts book for 1949, but neither have an explanation or even a picture of the upper steering column shift linkage parts. I thought that was rather odd. confused.gif

Does anyone have a diagram of this area with part numbers they could send me? Is there some other book or manual that would better explain this? Were these parts shared with other GM cars with standard transmissions as well?

I am appreciative of any and all replies!

Thanks!

Sounds like the shift tube inside the column. A stick-shift Cadillac or Buick will be your best bet as Chevy and Pontiac still had the shifter rod outside the column in those years. All 55-later GM passenger cars used internal shift tubes, and even though GM used the same basic design column for years, I don't know what later year parts would interchange.

The earliest shop manual I have is 1954, and it doesn't go into much detail in that area either. Shows how to get the shift lever out and remove the shift tube from the column mast jacket, and a little bit down at the lower end. DK how much it would help you but it you PM me with a street address I'll xerox what I have for you.

Guest sbn2263

I appreciate your help! I'll PM you with my address.

Upon closer examination, it looks like there is supposed to be a piece that screws onto the internal shift tube that is missing. Also, the column itself has some slots/stops on the end that the missing piece probably slips into for locating the correct gear.

• 3 weeks later...