The race is on...Rochester here I come

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

Thanks. There's more to be done, but such is life.

I put the arm rests back on the doors tonight, used the Rainier to top up the tires, and went for a drive. Luke had come out after his bath, so he helped out a bit and came along for the ride. He likes the car.

Oil change with EOS and spring checkup is happening on Friday. This weekend we will ensure the dust gets taken off. I've got to take some measurements and put something together for the package shelf for the trip to St. Paul.

It appears there may be a bit of a power steering leak - I think initially after the rebuild it had been overfilled and came out the cap, but I'm not absolutely certain. That'll get looked at on Friday as well.

I've had good luck with the power steering leak stop fluid. I had a pretty bad leak and spent a few months topping off with the leak stop additive and the leak is all but gone now.

It sure beats pulling that pump off and replacing the seal.

Guest imported_Thriller

Thanks for the advice...of course, the mounting bracket ought to be painted as well, so if it did come off, two birds could be killed with one stone. Mind you, at this point I don't have any paint on hand - the shop had painted the engine.

• 1 year later...
Guest imported_Thriller

I posted much of this in another thread in the Buick General forum, but it really belongs here. Now that we are inside three months to depart for Colorado Springs, it is time to get cracking.

This morning I found the arm rest pads (remind me never to put things like that some place "safe" again - there was some panic in trying to determine where they actually were) and they are ready to go on the newly refinished bases. I spoke to Wallace Wade yesterday and tires are on the way (that's an expensive 10 points). I dropped the wheels off this morning at my mechanic - they'll clean them up and paint them and, once the tires arrive, mount them. I sent an e-mail to SMS today for trunk lining material. I created a short list yesterday of items to get from Classic Buicks.

There are still definitely a few things to tidy up and paint, but it will have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit since I'm not allowed to do so in the house.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Sir from Austin TX---I could not help but warn you about doing business with Wallace Wade in Dallas. He is a totally disreputable dealer and should not be in this hobby. I bought 4 new tires for my Packard (7.60 x 15) which were defective because of stains on the whitewall. He accused me of mishandling tires and causing the stains. After much arguing, not discussing, he agreed to adjust the tires. I drove 200 miles to his warehouse in Dallas TX and he refused on the spot to adjust the tires, saying that he did not have them in his warehouse. This---after telling me he did have them! I drove back to Austin, 200 miles with no tires. He did finally some time later had to adjust the tires because I called and complained to Coker Tires personally. Beware of him!!!

Guest imported_Thriller

Thanks for sharing your experience David. Sorry to hear you had such a frustrating experience.

The tires have already arrived and been mounted, although not without issue. In storage / shipping, they were tightly bound, so they were misshapen. To get things working my mechanic first mounted them with tubes and inflated them to get the rubber shaped so that a bead would work.

Guest imported_Thriller

I try grin.gif Of course, once Ellie has competed in her beauty pageant, this thread will surely fade to black....

Guest 53Nailhead

Derek,

SMS are great people to deal with. Ordered fabric from them last year for the 53. Small problem, not their fault or mine (crossed wires). They made everything right without delay or additional cost. What more can you ask for?!?!

Guest imported_Thriller

I got the trunk material a while back...now I just need to get it in there and trimmed so that it fits nicely.

I got the tools from Wheatbelt as well...need to clean up and paint. There's never enough time.

My experiences with Wallace Wade Tires are just the opposite. Living near Dallas myself, I have ordered various tires from him over the years for my Buicks, from a 1941 to 1966. I have a set of wide white walls now on my 61 Electra that I drive all the time. I have never had any issues with him or his products. He also made sizable donations to both our BCA Nationals held in Texas in 1996 and 2004.