The race is on...Rochester here I come

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

OK, I just wanted to start a thread that will attempt to chronicle the preparations for the '66 Wildcat to get to Rochester.

I'm going to wait a bit before registering until I get a better feel for whether or not the car will be ready (got burned trying to get the '62 ready to take to Flint).

For those who may not have looked before, the story of me acquiring the Wildcat is embedded here and specific information and a few photos are here. Remember these photos are from before digital cameras (except perhaps the hubcap) and were scanned in. As not much has changed, I don't have a whole lot more to add. I should be taking a few more pictures to detail where things are at.

I spent part of my afternoon at a full service mechanical shop talking about the car...the first thing they did was tour me through...they are a family business that has been around since 1935...the Wildcat will go in around the end of August to get the once over. She already runs, but there are some issues, fuel delivery being one of them. They'll get everything ship shape and then it will be to a body shop for new windshield, rust repair, straightening the few dings it has, and paint.

I'm all excited about this car again. So far it has new exhaust and tires.

In Manitoba, there is a requirement for a safety inspection before a vehicle can be licensed in the province. In generic terms, it is often a money grab for unscrupulous mechanics since they'll always find something wrong. Anyway, brakes, tires, exhaust, lights, etc. all have to be in proper working order and the cabin has to be intact (no holes for exhaust / CO to leak in) and no cracks in glass that impair driver visibility.

Anyway, I see I am blathering now. I am obviously too excited about this. Before the car goes to the shop at the end of the month, I'll get out to the garage with the digital camera and post some photos.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest imported_Thriller

Sigh...I talked to the shop today...they are still backed up from holidays so we won't be able to get the car in until after Labour Day. A while ago I talked with a preferred auto body shop - they would have preferred to have the car over the summer, but will still take a look at it. Here's hoping everything goes well. I've also been doing a bit of shopping on eBay lately...the bills are going to be beginning soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_Thriller

He's out of the gate and crashes spectacularly into the first hurdle. frown.gif

I spent a bit of time on the car yesterday. I had taken the day off so one of us could be with our youngest on his first day of kindergarten. Since he goes mornings, and yesterday was about half of that, we had plenty of time to tinker. I put on an outside mirror I recently got so that I could see when driving to the shop. I was concerned that I had toasted another battery, but after giving the posts a good cleaning and tightening down the cables everything was fine. I had it running and raring to go.

This morning, I went to take it to the shop...got it going again (fuel system needs rebuild as I had to prime the carb after having run it less than 12 hours earlier)...open the window (turn signals not working so I planned to use my arm), step on the brake to put it in gear and the pedal goes unnaturally far and does so very softly as I hear the sound of liquid spraying onto the concrete floor. A brake line went...better in the garage than half way to the shop, so I wasn't too depressed when I called the tow truck. 20 minutes later and he was there...fired the car up again to manouver it into the alley so he could hook up. After taking a good look, the operator figures he'd have trouble hooking on to the back of the car and wouldn't be confident lifting it as the frame has some rust shocked.gif I knew there was some, but hadn't seen it on a hoist, so I wasn't sure about the extent. He pulls the tow truck around so he can hook up to the front...at this point, I'm a bit nervous, but still hopeful.

The trip to Canada Auto was uneventful (whew). After paying the driver, we start to discuss the car and decide to put it on a hoist. It is carefully driven to a hoist where it rises up...there was some delay as the mechanic noted flexing and kept testing the door opening / closing. So this is the first good look I get at the frame. Right now the jury is out - we're going to get a couple of body / frame guys to take a look at it to get an estimate / determine if it is repairable.

The body guys were too busy right now, but will be able to look at it early next week. So, I will have to wait until Monday / Tuesday to find out if my first Buick love is a parts car.

Needless to say, I've been moping and a bit depressed all day. I was so excited, but now I don't know what to think. MrEarl, how quick do you think you can courier some peach schnapps up here? Ah, never mind...I'll buy my own and drown my sorrows before slitting my wrists....

Here's a couple of photos. The first is being loaded onto the tow truck. The second is on arrival at Canada Auto, a family run business open since 1938. Notice there is one overhead door and a number of murals of doors on the wall...kind of neat...they've got a better photo of the building on their web site listed above.

Wildcat_DrHook1.jpg

Wildcat_CanadaAuto3.jpg

Then again, maybe I should just give up on this whole business and just go fishing. I haven't shed any tears yet, but I think I've been close. This car isn't an extremely valuable one, but it carries some emotional weight. I don't know if replacing it with that other Wildcat Custom for sale on this site would help the pain or not.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Derek,

Hate to hear that there's a possibility of the frame being gone on ol Blue. I know she's been with you for awhile. The tan one sounds good and I'm sure that, seeing where it is from, you'll check it out for rust if you do look at it seriously. The 66 Wildcat is one of my favorites. Have you seen the 2 61 convertibles on ebay. one black and one white. absolutely gorgeous. absoultely expensive too.

Hang in there dude. Talk it out with Suzanne, everything will be alright. We'll see in Rochester.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Actually the one 61 LaSabre convertible is at a decent price right now. I feel kinda guilty when I look at other cars on eBay, especially when I haven't spent much time with my own girls lately.

uhmmm that brings to mind an old joke I think you especially will like and appreciate...and you sound like you could use a good joke. so here goes... be tolerant moderators, this is therapy, the boy is down in the dumps.... wink.gif

HER DIARY:

Tonight I thought he was acting weird. We had made

plans to meet at a bar

to have a drink. I was shopping with my friends all

day long, so I

thought he was upset at the fact that I was a bit

late, but he made no

comment. Conversation wasn't flowing so I suggested

that we go somewhere

quiet so we could talk. He agreed but he kept quiet

and absent.

I asked him what was wrong; he said nothing. I asked

him if it was my

fault that he was upset. He said it had nothing to do

with me and not to

worry. On the way home I told him that I loved him,

he simply smiled and

kept driving. I can't explain his behavior, I don't

know why he didn't

say I love you too. When we got home I felt as if I

had lost him, as if

he wanted nothing to do with me anymore. He just sat

there and watched TV

He seemed distant and absent. Finally, I decided to

go to bed. About 10

minutes later he came to bed, and to my surprise he

responded to my

caress and we made love, but I still felt that he was

distracted and his

thoughts were somewhere else. He fell asleep - I

cried. I don't know what

to do. I'm almost sure that his thoughts are with

someone else. My life

is a disaster.

HIS DIARY:

I didn't catch any fish today, but at least I got laid.

Guest imported_Thriller

Thanks for the chuckle Lamar. I'm feeling a bit better today...that cream one looks nice and is better optioned than Blue (seems an appropriate name now, doesn't it). I got photos and can see a bit of rust, but nothing like Blue...at this stage, perhaps I am better off to put the effort into the '52 instead...hmmm...my '61 is going to be a long drawn out fight as it has some cancer too...nice design to those cars though...someday...lottery is $8M tomorrow night so I'll have to make sure I get a ticket....

Guest imported_Thriller

Woo Hoo!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

A frame guy went to the shop the car is at (so it didn't even cost me any towing) and estimated $500-650 to repair the one bad spot. There is rust on the frame (no bit surprise) but he felt that there was only the one area that really needed replacing. When it gets to the frame shop, we'll see about trying to stop the rust from any more damage as well.

So the mechanical shop is going to begin looking at the car tomorrow. First up will be a compression check to begin to see what sort of shape the engine is really in.

That kind of pulled me out of my depression a bit.

Guest imported_Thriller

Well, I don't expect it to be "great" in time for Rochester. I do expect it to be a reasonable driver by then. I don't know if I will get the opportunity to get the interior done before then or not. If all goes well (fingers crossed), with the possible exception of the front seat, it will be better than the '62 Special which will also be making that trip.

Guest imported_Thriller

They did a compression test today. The lowest cylinder was at 70/75 lb (forget which), another at 80, the the rest around 100 lb., which is low, so she'll definitely be getting rebuilt. There will be other mechanical / electrical work going on as well. After the engine is pulled, the rest of the car will be towed to the frame shop for the frame repairs...once everything is pretty and back together, it will be off to the body shop.

Now, I knew the carb was in tough shape. They are suggesting it will need replacing. I spent some time looking around (particularly at The Carburetor Shop) online today. I think this car was supposed to be a Carter AFB 4054S. I found they list the 4053S and 4055S as available replacements. Does anyone know the difference among those carbs? I think I'd like to stick as close to stock as possible.

Replacing the fuel pump and water pump are also anticipated. I know those are still available and I think I have a fuel pump around here.

I asked if they had a problem if I popped in every now and again with a camera and they said there would be no problem. So, while I won't be able to document the entire rebuild process, I hope to stop in once or twice a week (unless they are just waiting for parts) to take a few shots so I can share them with you.

Everything is looking up right now. I'm doing a bit better emotionally than at the end of last week... cool.gif

Guest imported_Thriller

The engine was pulled on Friday and they were starting to tear it down today. I'd have photos, but I didn't bring my camera to work today. I intend to bring the camera and stop in on my way to work in the morning.

Arrangements have been made - when it works for the frame guy, the car will be towed over there. After the frame is done, it will go to the body shop where they will clean up / paint the engine bay while the engine is out. At the same time, they will prepare and estimate for the entire car...I think I may need to stock up on the peach schnapps for that bill wink.gif The car will then go back to the mechanical shop, the rebuilt engine will eventually go in, and they will work on various other electrical / mechanical issues.

I'm trying not to get overly optimistic, but things seem to be shaping up fairly well right now. Let's hope there are no major glitches.

Guest imported_Thriller

All right...I stopped in this morning and took some shots as promised. I am considerably more impressed with this shop than the one that did the '62.

Here's the stripped down block:

20050920block5.jpg

Another shot including the crankshaft:

20050920crankshaft8.jpg

Here's a shot of the parts that came off the engine. The pistons all looked pretty consistent, so the low compression was probably due to wear / sitting / being started without proper lubrication. Notice the colour on the left-most valve compared to the others:

20050920engine_parts7.jpg

The Super Turbine 400:

20050920ST4001.jpg

And, lastly, the empty engine bay:

20050920engine_bay3.jpg

Things are going well. We had a good discussion. I asked about hardened valve seats and was told it wasn't necessary as they do a 3 angle grind and lap(p)? the valves. I asked about the carburetor and it turns out we just had a misunderstanding - he was sure he hadn't said replace the carb, but rebuild. It will be send to a high quality local carb guy. I asked about cleaning the fuel tank - he figured that was a good idea since we are repairing / replacing the rest of the fuel system. It will also give the frame guy more room to do his thing (and be safer). The body was to go to the frame guy today. After that, it will go to the body shop to have the engine bay cleaned up / painted.

I'm pretty excited. I'm even almost getting optimistic about this car getting done in a reasonable time - anyone who knows me will be surprised at this statement as I am normally very pessimistic - pessimists are never disappointed because they expect the worst grin.gif Anyway, things really seem to be coming together well. Now I'll just wait for the other shoe to drop smirk.gif

Guest imported_Thriller

I spoke with my guy today. The parts are there - they just want to wrap up another engine before starting mine, probably early next week.

So far, so good...now, about that lottery ticket....

Guest imported_Thriller

I popped by the shop today. The gas tank is back - it was cleaned out and coated on the inside, but they didn't do anything on the outside. My guy wants to clean it up, prime it, and perhaps shoot it with something to make it look nice. The original finish appears to be galvanized - does anyone know of something out there that would appear reasonably original? The sock on the fuel pickup is damaged, so needs replacing. It seems odd that it would rest against an edge of a piece of metal, which seems to have cut through it.

We looked at the heads and particularly the valve seats today. The seats nearly overlap as it is, so I can see why it would be risky to put new hardened inserts in.

I'm happy as long as there continues to be progress.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest imported_Thriller

I popped into the shop today to pick up my '62 (driveshaft hanger bearing needed to be re-vulcanized, u-joints, and a couple other minor bits) and saw the motor. It is partially assembled - a couple small pieces needed to be ordered from the U.S. They did paint the block with Plasti-Kote, but that will be changed to something more correct. The issue with POR-15 is that this shop doesn't have paint guns, so they can't spray it and it apparently won't work in an aerosol. Worst case, we will haul it over to a body shop to spray it on.

The frame work was completed some time ago. The body will now move to the body shop for engine compartment cleaning / detailing / painting and to get an estimate for the body work and paint for the car.

It is definitely nice to see progress. Now to lean out the '62 a bit.

Derek,

Go spend 15 or 20 bucks american and get yourself a small paint gun from Harbor Freight for yourself. This way you dont have to haoul the engine and all your shop needs is air.

I did this with one of my engines and the shop that was working on it and it was much easier and the engine looked great. What you have on there now will be a good basecoat.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest imported_Thriller

Well, I stopped in yesterday (I know you're asking why on earth it took me a day to post, but I had to go out last night, got home late, and didn't even turn on the computer - I must be getting sick...maybe something to do with shovelling a foot of snow this week) at two shops dealing with the Wildcat.

First stop was one of the few body shops left in our area that will work on rust. For now, they are going to clean up the engine compartment. The body colour paint is good, so we won't touch it, but they will apply some undercoating to the frame, and clean up and paint the black stuff (inner fenders, etc.), as well as the under side of the hood. While they have the car, they are going to get me an estimate for the body work and paint for the car overall. It's going to be a doozy...need to remember to get my lottery ticket for tomorrow night.... This was my first Buick and I still love the lines of it, so it has to be treated right. Happily, it is also the rustiest car I have, so the others won't generate quite so large a bill.

The second stop was to put some money down at the engine shop where they have completed the engine, as well as looked after getting a bunch of other items done (rad re-cored, tank cleaned up, a bit of frame repair, and other odds and ends). Here are a couple photos of the engine in all its glory.

Wildcat_engine_done1.jpg

Wildcat_engine_done2.jpg

Things are coming together. The key will be the body shop fitting the car into their schedule.

It was exciting to see my baby again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_Thriller

As a matter of fact, yes.

I stopped in yesterday at the body shop to pay for the underhood work and discuss the estimate for the rest of the work...good thing I was sitting down. Remember, there are basically 3 ways to restore a car - do it yourself, pay someone else to do everything, and something in between. I'm doing the pay thing and it won't be good for the bank accounts, especially considering what the value guides say a '66 Wildcat is worth. That being said, I'll be resurrecting a rusty example rather than parting it and another one being crushed. Let's just leave it at body / paint costing more than the Old Cars Price Guide says it will be worth. The estimate was for about 130 hours worth of labour. I was told it wouldn't be done in a month, more like three or four...my response was "Perfect" as that will coincide with the melting of the snow.

Anyway, the car went to the mechanical shop on Friday...I stopped in there and took the following photo:

Wildcat_engine_bay_hood2.jpg

It's already dusty, and not a great picture. Anyway, the firewall was cleaned up, but not painted. All the black stuff was painted. The inner fenders were taken down to bare metal. The underhood was sanded (not blasted to avoid raised spots) and painted as well.

The plan was for the mechanical shop to get going on the car today. I'm not exactly sure of the order they will be doing things, but they need to re-assemble some stuff (gas tank and rad had been sent out for refurbishing), install engine and get everything running, replace fuel and brake lines, etc. They expect to be done by Christmas so the car can then go back to the body shop for the rest of the winter.

I'm coming to terms with the monetary side. You can get a new car for less than what I'm putting into this car, but how many of those hold a candle to the power and style of this 'Cat?

Guest imported_Thriller

I got an update via e-mail yesterday...new brake lines and fuel lines are installed, the gas tank is back in place, and they were about to get started with getting the ST400 back in place. They expect the engine to be installed early next week, depending on how busy they get.

Not much worth putting any photographs to, so I don't think I'll drop by with the camera again until some time next week.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_Thriller

Well, they were delayed by additional work that came in, but the engine is now installed in the car...I'm not sure if I stopped in a day early though as they hope to be far enough along to fire it up tomorrow...if I get off work early enough tomorrow I may just pop in to hear / smell my baby. Anyway, I did take a few photos.

Here's the section of frame that got repaired / reinforced.

20051222Wildcat_frame4.jpg

There's nice new brake and fuel lines....

20051222Wildcat_lines3.jpg

Finally, we dropped the hoist so I could get a look at the heart...

20051222Wildcat_engine5.jpg

It was all very exciting. They've had a bit of trouble finding a couple of things, so I have a shopping list now to see if I can source. The only way they were able to find motor mounts was to send out for rebuild - unfortunately, timing gets in the way of that. The mounts aren't shot, but since we are essentially building a new car, we decided it may be best to replace them. To meet the safety inspection for Manitoba, the cabin has to have integrity (so no exhaust gets in), so weatherstripping is a must. I know there is stuff out there, it is just a matter of verifying sources.

If anyone knows a source for motor mounts for a '66 full size with the 401, feel free to let me know.

Guest imported_Thriller

It kind of looks like that, doesn't it? I was a bit surprised at the different materials, but not having seen new stuff, it didn't occur to me to ask.

It sure looks like copper to me. I wonder how that will hold up under there? It shouldn't rust but I would think you'd have to be VERY careful of any gas line freeze. At least they got it nice and straight.

Good luck

JD

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sure looks like copper to me. I wonder how that will hold up under there? It shouldn't rust but I would think you'd have to be VERY careful of any gas line freeze. At least they got it nice and straight. </div></div>

Do you mean the line freezing or using gas line antifreeze? I can't see the latter happening as I don't expect to be driving it in cold temperatures. I didn't get back there on Friday, but I'll try to remember to ask them about that.

Guest imported_Thriller

I got an e-mail today that they got the car running, but they need to tune the carb and verify timing. When that is done, I'll be informed again, so I can bask in the exhaust laugh.gif The mechanic working on the car has this week off, so it should be some time next week.

I can't say I have any experience to apply to the copper gas line discussion point, but I can't see the gas line being any more susceptible to freezing whether its steel, copper or the rubber hose ( used on a large section of my 58). Its going to be at ambient temperature in whatever line you have. The issue is water, condensation, in the gas supply getting into the gas line.

I'd think the issue would be corrosion of dissimilar metals, as in copper against steel frame. If the copper is insulated from the frame, then the issue of corrosion should go away.

My thoughts only.

That probably explains why the manufacturers only use steel tubing and, or 'rubber' type hose.

In that case Derek, it makes sense to get it changed now and not wait for a leak when you least want it. Not only a nuisance, but a safety/fire hazard.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest imported_Thriller

As a matter of fact, I spoke with the shop yesterday. I asked about the copper line - the mechanic, who's been doing this work for 20 years, was off, so we couldn't really ask...Dan will get me an answer though. I'm told it runs well, but there seems to be a carb problem at idle - the carb rebuilder is going to be there on Monday to see it on the car and hopefully solve the issue. There was a bent control arm on the rear - they have a replacement now and it will go on Monday. All the rubber bushings in the suspension have been replaced...a weatherstrip kit for the car has arrived. I'll probably go visit the car this week - I have a doctor's appointment on Monday afternoon, so that won't be it.

It won't be long before it is off to the body shop.

Guest imported_Thriller

OK, so it was an exciting morning. I paid for the mechanical services that have been done and I drove the car over to the body shop. The body shop estimated a little over 3 weeks worth of hours (something like 132 hrs) of work, so it will be there a while. The shop is busy, so they do want to get it out of the way, but it will be there for at least a couple of months.

The shop isn't happy with the idle right now. The carb guy said sometimes it just needs to run a while to sort of settle in. Anyway, they'll take another look at it and deal with a few other little things after the body shop is done with the car. It looks like things are definitely on a pace to make it to Rochester...of course, if you see me at the meet with a tin cup, you will know that it cost a pretty penny....

Here's under the hood again. They painted up the air cleaner, which gives it a nicer appearance, but it also means I've lost the text on the side. I think there are repro stickers for that, but I'm not absolutely sure what was on it - it is an A/C car if that helps anyone with knowledge.

20060126Wildcatengine1.jpg

Here's the car after pulling it outside - it's tough, but you can make out exhaust.

20060126Wildcatrunning2.jpg

The drive wasn't very long, but it went smoothly. The car ran well. The only thing right now is that the generator light is on. The shop will be taking a look at that as well after the body work is done. There was a bearing sound on the passenger side - either the A/C or alternator.

Anyway, I spent much of the day on Exhaust Cloud 9. grin.gifcool.gif

Good to get behind the wheel!

I assume its going to be the original colour, blue. Are you replacing the black vinyl roof, or paint it all blue?

I'll need to replace the vinyl roof on the Riviera, and I'm not sure who can do a credible job. I figured it might be easier to paint the roof and skip the vinyl...

John

I think the roof has to be painted. I've noticed there wasn't much paint underneath mine on my 69 Electra. So even if I were to put on a new vinyl top right away ( and I wont), I would still want a good coat of paint under that vinyl.

Just my .02

Derek,

i've been keeping an eye on this thread and it is amazing to see the way your attitude and humor have changed over thelast couple of months. Keep going, you are doing fine. Things are coming together for you. The biggest thing will be the biggest thing.....The final INVOICE for all of the work.

Just remember, there is TD, Royal, CIBC and whatever else you have out west. At this point you are committed.

I wish you all the best and keep the updates coming.

Stevo

DizzyDale, regarding copper tubes for fuel lines: In the picture below you can see two copper lines. The uppermost is 76 years old and the other 45 years old and they are not brittle. They can easily be bent without braking. Are there different types of copper tubes? I have also heard about copper tubes becoming brittle but I have never seen any brittle copper tubes. 9904Hupp_engine_2-med.jpg