'37 sedan brakes

mglz

Hello, i have a '37 4dr sedan. i'm working on the brakes and i'm a little lost. previous owner started a hydraulic brake conversion and got the front wheels done and they work fine, but i have no brakes on the rear tires, the brake line leading to the rear tires is cut and clamped at the master cylinder. i guess the job wasn't finished due to the problem of getting the drums off the rear wich requires that special tool which brings me to my first question: where can i get one of those clamps? secondly where can i find the parts i'll need to finish the job...brake shoes,cylinders,hoses? i believe the rear still has mechanical brake parts, but wont be sure till i can get the drums off. basically i would like some input on wether to finish the conversion or just go back to mechanical brakes and how reliable and safe are they? this zephyr doesn't have the columbia overdrive and would like to know if that was an option in '37 or was it replaced at some point. well, any comments or help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Mike G.

Here's a pic of a reproduction of the original KR Wilson hub puller, as well as the source:

http://home.mindspring.com/~bozarth/id5.html

There are other, cheaper versions of this tool that you can find if you look around. Hopefully, some of the other folks will chime in.

Regarding your question about the brakes, it's hard to answer without knowing more about the system being retrofitted: Is it a vintage Ford hydraulic system or aftermarket? If aftermarket, can you find the parts? Also, what do you expect to do with the car and how important is originality to you? I guess the consensus is that the mechanical brakes are reliable, but are more difficult to adjust and require more effort to stop the car. It sounds to me like you're 3/4s of the way to having the hydraulic brakes done -- I'd be inclined to finish the job.

The Columbia rear axle was a factory option starting (if I recall correctly)in 1937. The 1937 Zephyr could be ordered from the factory with a Columbia rear axle or it could have been fitted with one at the dealer. The major difference between the two setups is that the factory-installed system had a single, *very* long speedo cable that went all the way back to the rear axle, while the dealer-installed version used a shorter two-part cable setup that fed to the regular spot (driveshaft, just behind the tranny). The factory-installed Columbias are pretty rare from what I can tell. Hope this helps.

I can tell you from experience the KR Wilson hub puller is the real McCoy. It will safely remove those hubs without a lot of heat'n and beat'n. You're going to have to remove those hubs at some point regardless what you do with you brake system.

Guest imported_raywilks

i think your friendly snap-on truck has the puller. i am not sure of the price, but i will bet it is more than j.c whitney or cecil's source!! smirk.gif [color:\\"black\\"]

Guest imported_raywilks

i saw my snap on guy today. they have the three arm 5 piece type at 150.00. my guy will cut you a deal, he offered me one for 125.00. part number CJ-129. i will check my flea market for a used one and if i find it i will let you know. don't worry about me getting hung with it,i would not mind having one anyway. laugh.gif

Guest ian418

I have One Of the " Three Arm " hub Pullers, but I Don't think it will

Work on the "EARLIER" Hubs ,The Arms Won't Spread Out Enough On the Early

Hubs to Reach The Wheel Lug Studs...I Have a 41 and it Works Fine on It,

The Wheel Lug Studs are Closer To the Hub than The Earlier Years... C.H.

Cecil has the answer. The K. R. Wilson puller is the safest and easiest way to remove the rear wheel hubs. It's the tool that Ford used in all their service shops.

I used an air wrench to keep the wheel from trying to spin and it works SUPER! Check out: http://community.webshots.com/photo/73152974/132530826FZOrzY for a photo of the K. R. Wilson tool in action.

Sooner or later, you'll need to pull the rear hubs and this tool should be on your shelf!

Guest imported_raywilks

i am sure you guys are right about the three arm type. e-bay item 4565172372 is an older type. the pivot points on this one are very different from current manufacture same type. if anyone is interested smirk.gifon the above it may work on 40-48 models. i am going to pass on this one.

Guest ian418

The Three Leg Puller is still Avaiable from anyone Selling K D Tools.

THey list it AT $149 At TOOL SCOURCE which is TOO high in Price...I

Bought One From A TOOL VENDOR at an AUTO SWAP MEET for $65 two Years

ago..It Was new,in Box,KD PART # KD2251...

Thanks gentlemen for all your input. I have one of those 3 leg pullers but it just won't work. I'll definitely invest on the KR wilson tool which is exactly what i need looking at Cecil's pictures.

Any recommendations on brake shoes suppliers?

relining shops?

Guest imported_V12Bill

Brake shoes can be re lined at most brake shops that specialize in large trucks. Just take your old shoes to them and make sure you tell them to rivot the lining to the shoe and not glue it. Check the Yellow pages for one near you. I believe they can also get wheel cylinders for the hydralic brake systems too.

Bill

1936-8 brakes were self-energizing which basicaly means that the rotation of the drums is used to supplement the foot pressure. If I am correct, part of this involved different lining materials for the primary and secondary shoes. I would talk to George Trickett first -- he relines the shoes in the correct material and can tell you why the difference is important.